POLL - geographic location of our members

In summary, the poll is to determine the global localization of all our members. The poll is global in that it includes members from all over the world. The poll is local in that it evaluates the localization of members based on their social and cultural boundaries. Male, from Canada, is one of the participants in the poll. Location: Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.

Your Geographic Location

• North America

Votes: 203 60.4%
  • Latin America

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Europe

Votes: 79 23.5%
  • Islamic world (ie N. Africa and Middle East)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Africa (excl above)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Former Soviet Union

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • East Asia (eg China/ Japan)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • South Asia (eg India)

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • South East Asia (eg Malesia/ Indonesia)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Australia and Oceania

Votes: 16 4.8%

• Total voters
or Namaste

Physics news on Phys.org
namaste monique.
yes andre, it's been a long time. exams take their toll on connectivity:wink: .

Okay... Tiny town (called Bogense) in Denmark

I'm btw male (or so I claim)

Last edited:
Male from Southampton, England.

Male, Tampa, Florida

New Zealand, male. But I was born in India, lived there until some 4 years ago.

Btw, it's almost as "insulting" for a NZer being lumped together with Australia... (But let's not start with that again .)

Kia ora is the Maori way of greeting.

I'm from Mauritania(not Mauritius)a country in North West Africa, that people seem to think doesn't exist. But if you look at the map of Africa it is one of the most prominent countries there. By the way most Mauritanian's don't live as nomads (a common stereotype). Well if you have further questions on Mauritania I'll be glad to respond.

Hey Cool, yes, I actually knew of Mauritania and its location, what is its population size? Landscape?

Greetings-

I'm female and currently reside in
San Francisco, CA, US.

17/m/England (in the form a/s/l).

Male, California

Currently I live in SoCal (Irvine), but I still associate myself with NorCal (Sacramento, my home). And yes, there is a difference.

banc_darguin01.jpg

Here is a picture of one of my favorite sites in Mauritania. It is called The National Park of Band'arguin and it is a reservation park by the sea for migratory birds. It maintains about 280 species of birds, and all together more than 2,5 million individuals.

There are only two million people in Mauritania. So you can imagine how densely populated we are.

chinguetti01.jpg

Here is another picture of the mosque of Chinguetti, which used to be the capital of Mauritania. This old city dates back seven hundred years. It is ranked as the seventh holiest city in the Islamic world. pretty interesting.huh!

If you want more detailed info on other cities in Mauritania visit the following site:

http://i-cias.com/mauritania/index.htm

"That fondness for science, ... that affability and condescension which God shows to the learned, that promptitude with which he protects and supports them in the elucidation of obscurities and in the removal of difficulties, has encouraged me to compose a short work on calculating by al-jabr and al-muqabala , confining it to what is easiest and most useful in arithmetic." Abu Abd-Allah ibn Musa al'Khwarizmi

update

It seems I missed a few, so here's the updated list. If I missed your language, let me know what it is so I can add it. Keep in mind, I can't do cyrillic characters or eastern pictographs(ie: kanji), so let's stick to english phonetical. K thx!

A greeting to the world:

bonjour!
Saluti!
Guten tag!
hola!
Alla m'aallah sallekam!(sp?)
konnichi wa!
ni hao! (edited for content)
Jambo!
gegroet!
bunã!
god dag!
jó reggelt!
Hoi!
god morgen!
hallo!
Preevyet!
Strassvoitye!
Namaste!

And of course,

G'day mates!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Monique
or Namaste

Maybe I got it wrong, but I thought DAG was dutch for hello. Or are we talking finnish or norwegian?

There was an Indian person who said something like: live in peace (om shanti, shanti om), I replied with a Hindu greeting :)

DAG, hmm, that is actually a goodbye greeting :)
HALLO would be the formal greeting, HOI the informal one.

That kind Indian person is Sage, BTW.

Here are a few (800) more greetings:
http://www.elite.net/~runner/jennifers/hello.htm

So is this list complete and correct, Monique?
Dutch (Netherlands, Belgium) Hallo
Dutch (Netherlands, Belgium) Hoi
Dutch (Netherlands, Belgium) Dag
Dutch (Netherlands) Morgen
Dutch (Netherlands) Môge
Dutch (Netherlands) Goedendag
Dutch (Netherlands) [in spoken language] Goeiedag
Dutch (Netherlands) [rarely used] Hai
Dutch (Belgium) [informal by youth] Helaba
Dutch (Belgium) [informal by youth] Yoe
Dutch (Belgium) [informal by youth] Hiya

I can think of a few more :wink:

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm.. you I can barely keep up with the major languages, let alone all the dialects and variations. We got the netherlands in there somewhere;)

Male, Israel

Dear People,

After the holocaust, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, when you have in your hand an Atomic, Biological and Chemical weapon, then any local and, so called, conventional war, can be the starter of a chain reaction (like the atomic detonator in an Hydrogen bomb) .

When the enemy becomes faceless, it means that we lost our humanity fillings and become a killing machine.

I believe you know Billy Budd’s story by Herman Melville:

http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/36/1006/frameset.html

We have the power to destroy our planet, but if we don’t have the real power to be gentle-developing-complex-systems, then we are doomed.

Organic

Male, born in Indian (where there are so many languages and dialects). Presently residing in Muscat, Oman. Talking of Languages and Dialects. Nothing is compared to India.
-benzun

Originally posted by sage
india. om shanti, shanti om:wink:

Adaab! Sage Dada! Valo Achen? I am from your neighbor country!

Hi! All!
May be I am the one and only from Bangladesh :(

Joined many days ago...old forum :)

Few days busy for tough exams and projects...

But I am back to my fav. forum...and suddenly saw the name Moni(que)
I thought...oh! Here is another Moni (it's my nick name! And in our coutnry if two nick names are same we called them "Mita" i.e. friends!) and found a talented Bio-Chemist!

Here she wrote...

With my stay in the United States I have met first generation immigrants or aliens from the following countries:
Bulgaria
Croatia
Canadian
Zimbabwe
South-Africa
Finland
Japan
China
S Korea
India
Roemenia
Australia
Taiwan
Germany
Bangladesh
Brazil
Russia
Armenia
Iran

Bangladesh!

Oh! That means my little, attractive coutnry is known to you people!
I am so happy about it!

Aap kaise hai! Good to find another dost (that just means friend, right?) Yes, Bangladesh is known to me by the person Mahboob

Portugal.

Male, Portugal.

And thanks for the CIA website and that website on internet users Monique, it´s very intersting. :)

Rui.

Aap kaise hai! Good to find another dost (that just means friend, right?) Yes, Bangladesh is known to me by the person Mahboob

Ma acchaa hu (I am fine! :) )

Thank you very much! Then we are all "dost" (yeah! Friend) here!
This forum is really going fantastic day by day...as last time I've seen!

Is Mahboob your "Dost"? Is he also a Bio-Chemist?

Oh! I am Moni studying CSE in Chittagong University of Engg. & Tech. Male 23 years of age :)

Mahboob was a collegue-dost :)

You are welcome, Rui, I thought those sites were really nice too :D

I've seen Hindi movies, I know the word dost from the following movie "MUJHSE DOSTI KAROGE", which means be my friend right? It is just hard to understand the literal meaning, since it might mean boy/girl friend right?

I've seen Hindi movies, I know the word dost from the following movie "MUJHSE DOSTI KAROGE", which means be my friend right? It is just hard to understand the literal meaning, since it might mean boy/girl friend right?

Yeap! I've seen the movie! You watch Hindi movie...do you understand them?

Actually, in this part of the world...by "dost" we mean both girl and boy friends. Friends are treated as only friends (well wisher and so so) but in movies it turns to become a romantic relation...in reality which usually don't happen!

Besides! in Bangladesh, though we know Hindi but we talk in Bangla! This is our mother tongue!

And the bad news is...I am the only member here from my country! :(

But I think you all are *Dost* enough to enjoy my stay in here! Isn't it?

Yes, I don't speak Bangla, but I figured you might understand some Hindi On the other side, I have known people from India who didn't speak Hindi, so it is always hard to figure out which language is spoken :wink:

I can understand Hindi movies by the english subtitles

If you are the only member of your country, it is time to do some recruiting right? Banglesh is the most densily populated country in the world together with The Netherlands, at least in the top five.. so you should be able to access some people :)

So what is the Bangla word for friend?

Oh! Yes! I'll tell my friends

Friend = Dost (Hindi) = Mita (Bangla)

Then you all are my *Mita* right? :wink:

Mita, I know that word!

I know that a lady friend is called a didi (sister), how does that work with a male friend? I guess that is in Hindi, how is it in Bangla?

Do you know the meaning of 'baba'? It is used to address a person, but I am not sure of the meaning.

Mita, I know that word!

I know that a lady friend is called a didi (sister), how does that work with a male friend? I guess that is in Hindi, how is it in Bangla?

Do you know the meaning of 'baba'? It is used to address a person, but I am not sure of the meaning.

Oh! You know a lot

Honestly speaking I didn't expected so much! :wink:
Hmm... you are also interested in Languages :) Thats fine! Me too :)

In Bangla lady friends are called didi too...But that don't work with male friends...ladies call their male friends with "Bhaiya" (Brother)! And in Hindi "Dada"...you may also hear this :)

"Baba" means "Father" ... you may have heard "Dada" as I mentioned!
"Dada" is usally used to adress any unknown person!

I am impressed...you really have good interest in other culture and languages! :smile: :smile: :smile:

How many countries you have traveled so far?

Originally posted by Moni
Oh! You know a lot
Noo, only a little

"Baba" means "Father" ... you may have heard "Dada" as I mentioned!
Really, I have got an Hindi friend who uses it as: "oh baba, don't be angry" I am not sure what to make of that

I am impressed...you really have good interest in other culture and languages! :smile: :smile: :smile:

How many countries you have traveled so far?
I don't travel to other countries, I let other countries come to me :wink: I've lived in the US for a while and met a lot of people there, I have also attended a major conference in Europe where there also were people from all over the globe. It is very interesting to hear the stories people tell from different countries.

Thanks for the little lesson btw :) I had heard of the word Bhaiya, but didn't realize it means brother. From the movie "Hum Dil de Chuke Sanam" song: Kaipoche "Ay Dheel De Dheel Dede Re Bhaiya"

I'll learn a new language, eventually :wink:

Hello everyone!
I'm from South East Asia> Singapore and I'm boy.
I'm also a chinese and currently a student.

Male From INDIA

Welcome! vmsrvignesh & physicskid!

Then you two are from Asia :) Nice to see you :)

And vmsrvignesh you are from my neighbour country...

"Aap keysa hey bhai" :)

Male
Currently living in Oakland, CA
Originally from the Philippines