Polylogarithms integrals in Nastase QFT book

In summary: It's possible that the z‘s are just there to cancel out the surface terms in the polylogarithm formulas.
Pnin
This is from Horatio Nastase "Intro to Quantum Field Theory" book (Cambridge University Press, 2019) , chapter 59. The reader is supposed to massage equation (3) into equation (4) with the help of the given polylogarithm formulas (1) and (2). I do not see at all how that's possible.

Unfortunately, the book (first edition) seems to have some fair amount of typos, as far as I can tell. The exponent (n-1) above -1 in equation (1) should be (n-2), as on the polylogarithm wiki page noted under integral representation, no. 5.

Has someone an idea what the author does to get from equation (3) to (4)?
polylog.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
You should move the question to calculus forum.

mathman said:
You should move the question to calculus forum.
Good idea. How do I do that? Or could some admin move my question? thank you

I moved it.

Did you try integration by parts? Take the integral of 1, take the derivative of the lnk(t).

Likes Pnin
I assume repeated (twice) integration by parts. That makes me believe the integral in (3) can be morphed into the integral in (1). With surface terms disappearing somehow. But where does the sum sigma come from?

Let's look at $$\int_0^1 \frac{z\ln^k(t)}{(1-tz)^2} dt$$
For k=0, we get $$\int_0^1 \frac{z}{(1-tz)^2} dt = \frac{-z}{z-1}$$
Subtracting that from 1/(1-z) we get 1, as expected.

For k>0 I confirmed the first cases with WolframAlpha (e.g. k=3). I started integration by parts but I'm not sure if the diverging first term will cancel later:

Let k>0. As the integrand diverges for t->0, set the lower bound to ##\epsilon## for now. Define ##f'(t)=\frac{z}{(1-tz)^2}##, ##g(t)=\ln^k(t)##. Then $$\int_\epsilon^1 f'(t)g(t) dt = [f(t)g(t)]_\epsilon^1-\int_\epsilon^1 f(t)g'(t) dt \\
= \left[\frac{z}{1-tz}\ln^k(t)\right]_\epsilon^1 - \int_\epsilon^1 \frac{k}{t} \frac{z}{1-tz}\ln^{k-1}(t) \\
= \dots$$

Edit: Forgot a 1/t term.

Last edited:
Likes Auto-Didact and Pnin
Thanks, mfb. Much appreciated.

Likes jim mcnamara
Unfortunately, still a bit unclear.

If f'(t) = z/(1-zt)^2, shouldn't it be f(t) = z⋅(z/(1-zt)?

Also, what next? I need to integrate one more time by parts. But I have a new 1/t term. I want that term in my final result (4), not now.

Integrating by parts without the 1/t would give me k(k-1)ln^(k-2)(t)⋅ln(1-tz). And since k(k-1) =k!/(k-2)!, that starts to look good. Still, I need that 1/t term, but in the final equation, not in the step before..

And what about those z‘s. They appear only in ln(1-tz) in equation (1) and (4).

1. What are polylogarithms in the context of Nastase QFT?

Polylogarithms are mathematical functions that are frequently used in quantum field theory (QFT) to represent the behavior of certain physical systems. In Nastase's QFT book, they are used to describe the behavior of particles in a specific type of QFT called Nastase QFT.

2. How are polylogarithms integrated in Nastase QFT?

In Nastase QFT, polylogarithms are integrated using a specific technique called the Mellin-Barnes representation. This involves expressing the polylogarithm function as an infinite series of simpler functions, which can then be integrated term by term.

3. What is the significance of polylogarithms in Nastase QFT?

Polylogarithms play a crucial role in describing the behavior of particles in Nastase QFT. They are used to calculate scattering amplitudes, which are important quantities that describe the probability of particles interacting in a certain way. Polylogarithms also appear in other areas of physics, such as string theory and black hole physics.

4. Are there any practical applications of polylogarithms in Nastase QFT?

Polylogarithms in Nastase QFT are primarily used for theoretical calculations and understanding the behavior of particles in this specific type of QFT. However, they can also have practical applications in areas such as high energy physics and cosmology, where Nastase QFT is used to study the behavior of particles in extreme environments.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of using polylogarithms in Nastase QFT?

One limitation of using polylogarithms in Nastase QFT is that they can be difficult to calculate and manipulate, especially for higher order integrals. Additionally, some physicists have criticized the use of polylogarithms in Nastase QFT, arguing that they may not accurately represent the behavior of particles in certain situations. However, polylogarithms remain a valuable tool in theoretical physics and continue to be studied and used in various areas of research.