Polynomial Remainder Therem to proove this

In summary, the teacher has attempted to solve the homework equation using the remainder theorem. However, he has made a mistake and needs to use another theorem to solve the equation.
shalikadm

Homework Statement

Applying remainder theorem again and again to show that the remainder of the f(x) polynomial function when divided by (x-α)(x-β) is A(x-α)+B . Determine A and B

Homework Equations

the remainder of a polynomial f(x), divided by a linear divisor x-a, is equal to f(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok...here's how the teacher has solve this...

f(x)=(x-α)g(x)+B(remainder theorem)
g(x)=(x-β)∅(x)+A(remainder theorem)

f(x)=(x-α)[(x-β)∅(x)+A]+B
f(x)=(x-α)(x-β)∅(x)+A(x-α)+B
∅(x)[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]quotient
A(x-α)+B[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]remainder

But I think that he has forgotten to use the remainder theorem there..I can't see where he has applied it..

I think if we use the theorem,we have to do something like this.

f(x)=(x-α)g(x)+α
g(x)=(x-β)∅(x)+β

f(x)=(x-α)[(x-β)∅(x)+β]+σ
f(x)=(x-α)(x-β)∅(x)+β(x-α)+σ

Here we get something like A(x-α)+B as the remainder{β(x-α)+σ}..But I think that I'm wrong as its too easy then to determine A and B...like A=β and B=α...

Please someone show me were has he used the remainder theorem..Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
shalikadm said:

Homework Statement

Applying remainder theorem again and again to show that the remainder of the f(x) polynomial function when divided by (x-α)(x-β) is A(x-α)+B . Determine A and B

Homework Equations

the remainder of a polynomial f(x), divided by a linear divisor x-a, is equal to f(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok...here's how the teacher has solve this...

f(x)=(x-α)g(x)+B(remainder theorem)
g(x)=(x-β)∅(x)+A(remainder theorem)

f(x)=(x-α)[(x-β)∅(x)+A]+B
f(x)=(x-α)(x-β)∅(x)+A(x-α)+B
∅(x)[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]quotient
A(x-α)+B[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]remainder

But I think that he has forgotten to use the remainder theorem there..I can't see where he has applied it..

I think if we use the theorem,we have to do something like this.

f(x)=(x-α)g(x)+α
g(x)=(x-β)∅(x)+β
You are using the remainder theorem incorrectly here. At x= α the remainder of f(x) is f(α), which your instructor called "A", not α. Similarly, at x= β, the remander of g(x) is g(β), which your instructor called "B", not β.

f(x)=(x-α)[(x-β)∅(x)+β]+σ
f(x)=(x-α)(x-β)∅(x)+β(x-α)+σ

Here we get something like A(x-α)+B as the remainder{β(x-α)+σ}..But I think that I'm wrong as its too easy then to determine A and B...like A=β and B=α...

Please someone show me were has he used the remainder theorem..Thanks !

HallsofIvy said:
You are using the remainder theorem incorrectly here. At x= α the remainder of f(x) is f(α), which your instructor called "A", not α. Similarly, at x= β, the remander of g(x) is g(β), which your instructor called "B", not β.
Oh...sorry..I have written it wrong...

f(x)=(x-α)g(x)+f(α)(remainder theorem)
g(x)=(x-β)∅(x)+f(β)(remainder theorem)

f(x)=(x-α)[(x-β)∅(x)+β]+f(σ)
f(x)=(x-α)(x-β)∅(x)+f(β)(x-α)+f(σ)

Here we get something like A(x-α)+B as the remainder{f(β)(x-α)+f(σ)}
A=f(β) and B=f(σ)

Correct now ?
now where I have gone wrong ?

shalikadm said:
Oh...sorry..I have written it wrong...

f(x)=(x-α)g(x)+f(α)(remainder theorem)

Correct.

g(x)=(x-β)∅(x)+f(β)(remainder theorem)

Mistake here. Shouldn't that remainder be g(β)?

Also, for some strange reason, you started using sigma (σ) instead of alpha (α) later in your post.

You will need to express g(β) purely in terms of f(β), f(α), α and β after that (which is what is involved in determining "A"). You may use the first equation to do this.

There is a subtlety here. This method works fine when β is not equal to α, but fails when β = α (why?). The question did not stipulate inequality, so you'll need to cover both cases.

In the case where β = α, you'll need another trick to find g(α). This involves a little calculus (differentiation).

What is the Polynomial Remainder Theorem?

The Polynomial Remainder Theorem is a mathematical rule that states that when a polynomial is divided by another polynomial, the remainder is equal to the value of the polynomial at that point. In other words, it helps us find the remainder when dividing a polynomial by another polynomial.

How is the Polynomial Remainder Theorem different from the Division Algorithm?

The Polynomial Remainder Theorem is a special case of the Division Algorithm. While the Division Algorithm can be used for any kind of numerical division, the Polynomial Remainder Theorem specifically deals with dividing polynomials.

How can the Polynomial Remainder Theorem be used to prove something?

The Polynomial Remainder Theorem can be used to prove various properties of polynomials, such as finding the roots or the degree of a polynomial. It can also be used to show that a polynomial is a factor of another polynomial.

What are the key components of the Polynomial Remainder Theorem?

The Polynomial Remainder Theorem has three key components: the dividend (the polynomial being divided), the divisor (the polynomial doing the dividing), and the remainder (the value obtained after dividing the dividend by the divisor).

Can the Polynomial Remainder Theorem be applied to all polynomials?

Yes, the Polynomial Remainder Theorem can be applied to all polynomials, including those with multiple terms and variables. However, it is important to note that the divisor must be a non-zero polynomial for the theorem to hold true.