1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial ring

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    "Let f is a polynomial from k[x,y], where k is a field. Suppose that x appears in f with positive degree. We view f as an element of k(y)[x], that is polynomial in x whose coefficients are rational functions of y."

I think I am missing something...why do we need rational functions here? can't we represent any polynomial from k[x,y] as an element of k[y][x] i.e. polynomial in x whose coefficients are polynomials of y?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing here given I don't know from where you are getting this but...

Recall that a polynomial is also a rational function just as an integer is also a rational number.

I think the idea is to keep the format of k(y)[x] as a ring of polynomials (in x) over a field. So the y-polynomial coefficients are treated as elements of the larger ring of rational functions of y.

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    Yes, k[X,Y]=k[X][Y]=k[Y][X].

k[X,Y] is NOT equal to k(Y)[X].

5. Feb 1, 2009 #4
    yes, later on it says that "if f (polynomial from k[x,y]) is irreducible then it remains irreducible as an element of k(y)[x]"

can someone explain to me why it is so?

...I guess, if we assume f = gh where g,h are from k(y)[x] then we can multiply both sides by the product of common denominators of coefficients of g and h, So that we get f c(y) = g_1 h_1, where c(y), g_1, and h_1 are polynomials from k[x,y].

Now, how does this imply that f is not irreducible??

6. Feb 1, 2009 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?