1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomials of different degrees and a related monomial

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f, g be nonzero polynomials with deg (f) [tex]\geq[/tex] deg (g). Show that there
    is a unique monomial bx[tex]^{k}[/tex] where deg(f(x) - bx[tex]^{k}[/tex]g(x)) < deg (f).

2. Relevant equations

see above

3. The attempt at a solution

I define polynomials f and g, with deg(f) = n and deg (g) = m and n[tex]\geq[/tex]m
    and let the monomial be h(x) so h(x)g(x) = l(x) and using the theorem deg(h(x)g(x)) = deg(h(x)+g(x)) and therefore deg l(x) = k + m. so overall i have to find deg(f(x)-l(x)) but this is equal to f(x) not less than f(x), how do I show its less than f(x).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: polynomials

In other words you have a polynomial f = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... , and you have another one g = cmxm + cm-1xm-1 + ...
    where n > m .

And you are asked if you can find a bxk that can make the degree of
    (f - bxkg) less than n.

In other words the coefficient of xn in the polynomial (f - bxkg) has to be what?

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3

the coefficient has to be 0 than I think? but degree k+m still could be greater than n as we dont know anything about k.

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are just asked can you find, will you always be able to find, a k (and a b) that gives you the result you want?

Maybe you would find it easier if you first considered a concrete case. I can choose any polynomials that come into my head as long as n >or= m.

f = 5x3 + 10x2 + 2x + 8.5 and g = 3x + 2 comes into my head.

Can you find a b and k for that that gives you a reduced degree result for (f - bxkg) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook