Pondering over the idea of going to Princeton

In summary: Princeton is a great school, but if you don't like it you can transfer to Harvard or Caltech. Princeton has a large physics department, but other departments are also good. If you don't like it, you can transfer.
Bravenewworld
I am currently pondering over the idea of going to Princeton. I will be done with school in another year, 10th grade. Anyone have any things to say about it? I was also thinking about Dartmouth or maybe Penn State. And which one would you say has the greater Physics departments. I am really hooked on the idea of Princeton seeing as how many of my idols walked those halls. Nash, Werner, Ambrose, and many others.

Physics news on Phys.org

I say, "why not?"

If you don't like it you can transfer to Harvard or Caltech.

I am not really into Harvard nor Caltech, I am starting to move away from Darthmouth as well after talking to an old friend of my fathers who attended and said the department was extremely small. Is this true?

You should be prepared for disappointment if you think youre a shoe in for Princeton Most likely unless you are an Intel-SemiFinalist if you applied for Harvard, Princeton, or Yale you would only get into one or two or none but it could be any two or single. Admissions is a bit of a toss up at that level since people with 1600 and 4.0s get rejected. Dont plan your life around that possibility but there is nothing wrong with applying you never know what could happen.

The fact that you'd want to go to Princeton because of its famous alumni probably shows that you're not cut out for it. If you're good at physics, then you'd succeed everywhere. If you're not, then you're not going to succeed anywhere. Individuals are absolute - institutions matter only for prestige (and trust me, this won't get you into a top graduate school), and are often completely independent of individual success.

I say why not, go for your passion. I applied to Princeton to a large extent because I really fell in love with it after watching "A Beautiful Mind", which prompted me to visit the school. Well even though I got deferred in early decision and subsequently got rejected at the end, it was still a pretty good experience. There is really nothing to lose (well maybe except for your $60 application fees).

Related to Pondering over the idea of going to Princeton

1. What makes Princeton a top choice for higher education?

Princeton University is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world. It has a highly selective admissions process, renowned faculty, and a rigorous academic curriculum that prepares students for success in their chosen fields.

2. How does the location of Princeton impact the overall experience?

Princeton is located in New Jersey, just a short train ride away from major cities like New York and Philadelphia. This provides students with access to diverse cultural experiences and internship opportunities while still enjoying the benefits of a small, picturesque college town.

3. What opportunities does Princeton offer for research and hands-on learning?

Princeton is a leading research institution, providing students with numerous opportunities for hands-on learning and research experiences. Students can work alongside faculty on cutting-edge projects, participate in internships, and collaborate with other students in various fields.

4. How does Princeton support its students' mental and physical well-being?

Princeton offers a wide range of resources for students to support their mental and physical health. This includes counseling services, health services, and a variety of wellness programs and activities. Additionally, the university has a strong sense of community and support among its students and faculty.

5. What sets Princeton apart from other top universities?

Princeton is known for its strong sense of community and tradition. The residential college system fosters a close-knit community among students, and the university's rich history and traditions create a unique and memorable experience for students.