1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Population growth carrying capacity on a logistic model

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the equation I am given. I'm supposed to find the carrying capacity.

dp/dt=.05P-6.6666667e-5P^2

I know the general solution is rp-rp^2/k with k=carrying capacity, but the addition of the middle term has thrown me off.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried ignoring the middle term and did r/p=5. Since r=.05, p would be .01 in this case, but that doesn't show up as the correct answer. What does the middle term change?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

can you explain which is the middle term you're talking about?

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

guessing what you're asking, first consider the simple first order exponential DE
    [tex]
    \frac{dP}{dt}=0.05P
    [/tex]

for any positive starting value P_0, [itex] \frac{dP}{dt}=0.05P[/itex] will always be positive and [itex] P(t) [/itex] will increase exponentially

now consider
    [tex]
    \frac{dP}{dt}=0.05P - \frac{2}{3} 10^{-5} P^2
    [/tex]

for small [itex] P [/itex], this will behave the same as the first equation as [itex] P<1 \implies P^2<<1 [/itex]

however as [itex] P [/itex] increases, the [itex]P^2[/itex] term will get larger decreasing the growth rate, until at some point [itex] \frac{dP}{dt} = 0 [/itex], the population will assymtotically approach this point -

so can you find where [itex] \frac{dP}{dt} = 0 [/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook