1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possbile to get a B.S in 3 years

1. Jul 30, 2006 #1
    Is it possible to get a B.S in math in 3 years? I am doing a 3-2 program, where I get a B.A from one university and a B.S from another university. But I want to try and get 2 B.S. degrees (one in math and the other in applied math).

Thanks a lot for your opinions

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2006 #2
    it probably is possible. i finished my applied math major in about 1.5 years (just taking only those courses), and i can finish my pure math major this upcoming year, giving me about 2 years of pure math. so 3.5 years just for applied math and pure math, not counting general ed courses and prerequisite courses.

however, if you plan on going to grad school, it might be better to not worry about finishing so fast but rather taking more difficult courses and possibly graduate courses

4. Jul 30, 2006 #3
    I plan to go to grad school for applied math. yeah, but after finishing the B.S. in three years from my home institution, I bypass most of the courses that are required for Columbia. Thus I can take grad courses there. Is that a feasible plan?

5. Jul 30, 2006 #4
    my algebra professor told me that when he was in undergrad, he finished his requirements in three years and just took graduate math classes his fourth year.

...not sure if that helps you, but i'm just putting that out there.

6. Jul 30, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's definitely possible. I finished a BSEE with two minors (math and astrophysics) in three and a half years. Was it worth doing? No. Would I take more time if I were to do it over? Absolutely.

University life is about far more than just classes. Student organizations (clubs, student government, etc.), sports, research projects, and social organizations (fraternities and sororities, etc.) are all part of making you a whole person, with an understanding and appreciation of more than just your major's core classes. University experience is easily the most fun you'll ever have -- savor it. Use all the resources your school provides and enjoy life a bit. Don't just try to get out as soon as possible with the highest GPA possible -- there is (or should be) a hell of a lot more to it than that.

During my undergrad years, I did many things. I ran the student astronomical observatory (which even entailed teaching astronomy to cub scouts -- how much fun is that!). I cycled competitively on the school's team. I was a major contributor to the school's Hybrid Electric Vehicle Team, with which I did some undergraduate research on fuel cell control systems. I was in the biggest (and most active) social fraternity on campus. I did all kinds of things, and it was great. I look back on those years, and wish I had stayed longer.

My rationale for graduating early was simply the promise of a paycheck, but perhaps being poor for yet another year wouldn't have been so bad.

- Warren

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  7. Jul 30, 2006 #6
    I am actually going to spend 5 years at 2 undergraduate institutions. I would spend 3 years at my liberal arts college and get a B.S. in math, and then spend 2 years at Columbia and get a B.S. in applied math. Thus, aren't I experiencing college life?

8. Jul 30, 2006 #7
    Planning to get two undergraduate degrees from two different schools seems like a lot of trouble to go through, IMO. But more power to you, if that's what you want and you think you can do it.

I agree with everything Warren said, but this:

What a depressive statement this seems to me. Apex of fun in your early 20s followed by a life of less fun? No way, not for me! Furthermore, it seems to imply that people who don't go to college will never have the same amount of joy as those who do, which is pretentious.

Go on and attack those classes, courtrigrad. Be relentless and victorious. While you're at it, tell your dean his/her classes are a little boring and that you'd like to make your own independent study courses. Maybe even assemble courses into a new program to make your own degree. It's been done before, but only for people who demand it.

You don't have to skip out on social life, either. If you can find the money, then you can skip out of flipping burgers instead, as well as that summer job. When everyone's gone home for the summer, and social activities are down, build a mountain of summer courses, then plant your flag on it. If it wasn't challenge enough, increase the course load for next summer.

If you come into University thinking that it's going to be the best time of life and that you have to savor it, I think it's clear that your expectations will be too high and you will spend the time disappointed. University is a lot of B.S. If you want to cut through it, I say don't just cut through it, cut it down. Leave the University a different place.

9. Jul 30, 2006 #8
    thanks a lot Mickey for your great advice!

10. Jul 30, 2006 #9
    Thanks Mickey. Even though the topic isn't about me, I'll certainly keep that in mind. I just want to make the most out of my college years.

11. Jul 31, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like you must have gone to a crappy school, Mickey, and had a very different experience from mine.

For record, it's not that college is actually more fun than anything you'll ever do afterward -- but the enormous difference between high school life (living with your parents) and university life (being somewhat independent and self-sufficient, and surrounded by your peers) makes university life seem like you weren't even alive prior. Or, at least, that was my experience. It was like being reborn.

- Warren

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  12. Jul 31, 2006 #11
    Definately possible, my course offers the option of finishing your degree in 2 years, as opposed to the standard 3 years.

13. Jul 31, 2006 #12
    Man, did you take 30 credits each semester?

14. Jul 31, 2006 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I took about 17 per semester.

- Warren

15. Jul 31, 2006 #14
    How did you finish with that many minors so fast?

We need at least 120 credits for our degree, and (i think) 18 credits per minor. ( about 6 classes or so)

16. Jul 31, 2006 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I entered with 56 hours of credit from IB exams in high school. Not all of those credits directly applied to my curriculum, but I didn't have to take any english, history, or foreign language. I was taking second-semester sophomore classes immediately upon entry.

The astrophysics minor was (I think) 6 classes, or 18 units. The math minor was almost automatic, but, IIRC, involved two additional classes, or 6 units. That's a total of, IIRC, around 156 units. I placed out of probably 30 units, leaving me with a pretty normal courseload.

- Warren

17. Jul 31, 2006 #16
    But if your college does not accept AP credits, could you get by with taking summer courses?

18. Jul 31, 2006 #17
    Definitely. I took 21 credits one summer and 18 another. That’s significantly more than an average student’s load for a year.

19. Jul 31, 2006 #18

Believe it or not, but I have acquired 90 credits in the end of my first year in college (spring, autumn, summer, and transfer). The result is a BS in Applied Maths and Statistic in 2 years. You should not ask weather if possible or not. My suggestion is that you should fully understand your school's policy and devolope a way to go around it (if you wish). For example, my school max credits per semester is 18, I look 31 credits in one semester and result with Almost 3.8 GPA for that semester. It was because my school only consider pass/fail for transfer credit and they accept as much as credit you have from other school for each semester. Therefore I ultilise this error and obtain an acceptable GPA. Of course, different school has different policy and you can't apply my method to other school mostly. My point is that I can get done like this because I fully understood my school's policy more than anyone in my school.

Leon

20. Jul 31, 2006 #19
    Can I just say.. wow. My university won't even let you take more than 12 hours in a summer.

21. Jul 31, 2006 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I personally feel it's better to take it easy and allow more 'soak time' for your education, rather then dashing through it. I guess it depends on the individual (as with anything).

I'd really hate to spend 18 hours a day on physics, then by the time I have a degree, be burnt out on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?