1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible Health Issue Related to Writing Improperly?

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    Don't get confused by the title:
    Simple and short:

My sister for some reason can't write properly (alignment, neatness), if she doesn't turn her book horizontally. I've been forcing her to practice working with the book vertically but she's struggling and the writing is coming out sloppy.

Is there some kind of condition / disease / disorder behind this? Or is it because she has been doing it for so long she is used to turning the book? Will about 2 weeks of writing "normally" make her adjust and write properly with the book vertically on the desk?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2

cjl

Why do you care?

4. Jun 25, 2011 #3
    Why does it matter? :S If she can write fine one way who are you to change what she's used to. It's not a disease, it's just habit and there's nothing wrong with it. The way she writes is most comfortable to her and you shouldn't try to change it, it isn't hurting anyone so just leave it alone

5. Jun 25, 2011 #4
    Ok.... Thanks, fellas

6. Jun 25, 2011 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  7. Jun 25, 2011 #6
    Had you read your own link, you would've noticed his sister clearly does not have agraphia.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Jun 25, 2011 #7
    Oh my bad. Can you find a better match?

9. Jun 25, 2011 #8
    Why is the "she does not have a medical condition" not a good enough match? I'm not saying this is true, but why is there a need to find something?

10. Jun 26, 2011 #9
    I also have an abnormal writing condition. It's a fairly widespread issue, affecting around 10% of the world's population, and it results in a marked deviation from the norm in the way I write. This condition is called being left-handed, and I very much doubt anyone here would advocate for forcing me to start writing "properly" in order to treat this "condition." So why would you try to force such measures upon your sister, who merely writes at a different angle from most people?

If you can show that her idiosyncrasies constitute a significant detriment to her writing performance or overall quality of life, that's one thing. However, forcing her to do things your way solely due to the assumption that your way is the only proper way is dangerously intolerant. One has to ask, why are you so concerned that she write the same way you do, and that deviations from such may be a recognized disease?

11. Jun 26, 2011 #10
    Good point(s). You're right. Thanks

12. Jun 26, 2011 #11

eumyang

Homework Helper

As a child, my mother was left-handed at the beginning, but she was forced by my grandmother to write "properly" in order to fix this "condition." IIRC my grandmother would hit my mother at her left hand if she tried to write left-handed. Fortunately, my mother did not repeat those tactics with me (I am left-handed as well).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook