Possible Health Issue Related to Writing Improperly?

In summary: So I can only assume that you are advocating for some sort of psychological punishment/rehabilitation for your sister, which I believe is a very dangerous path to go down.If you can show that her idiosyncrasies constitute a significant detriment to her writing performance or overall quality of life, that's one thing. However, forcing her to do things your way solely due to the assumption that your way is the only proper way is dangerously intolerant. One has to ask, why are you so concerned that she write the same way you do, and that deviations from such may be a recognized disease?As a child, my mother was left-handed at the beginning, but she was forced by my grandmother to write
Edin_Dzeko
Don't get confused by the title:
Simple and short:

My sister for some reason can't write properly (alignment, neatness), if she doesn't turn her book horizontally. I've been forcing her to practice working with the book vertically but she's struggling and the writing is coming out sloppy.

Is there some kind of condition / disease / disorder behind this? Or is it because she has been doing it for so long she is used to turning the book? Will about 2 weeks of writing "normally" make her adjust and write properly with the book vertically on the desk?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you care?

Why does it matter? :S If she can write fine one way who are you to change what she's used to. It's not a disease, it's just habit and there's nothing wrong with it. The way she writes is most comfortable to her and you shouldn't try to change it, it isn't hurting anyone so just leave it alone

Ok... Thanks, fellas

DrummingAtom said:
I did a Google search and found this:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-agraphia.htm"

Shouldn't this be in the General Discussion section?
Had you read your own link, you would've noticed his sister clearly does not have agraphia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryker said:
Had you read your own link, you would've noticed his sister clearly does not have agraphia.

Oh my bad. Can you find a better match?

Why is the "she does not have a medical condition" not a good enough match? I'm not saying this is true, but why is there a need to find something?

I also have an abnormal writing condition. It's a fairly widespread issue, affecting around 10% of the world's population, and it results in a marked deviation from the norm in the way I write. This condition is called being left-handed, and I very much doubt anyone here would advocate for forcing me to start writing "properly" in order to treat this "condition." So why would you try to force such measures upon your sister, who merely writes at a different angle from most people?

If you can show that her idiosyncrasies constitute a significant detriment to her writing performance or overall quality of life, that's one thing. However, forcing her to do things your way solely due to the assumption that your way is the only proper way is dangerously intolerant. One has to ask, why are you so concerned that she write the same way you do, and that deviations from such may be a recognized disease?

Leveret said:
I also have an abnormal writing condition. It's a fairly widespread issue, affecting around 10% of the world's population, and it results in a marked deviation from the norm in the way I write. This condition is called being left-handed, and I very much doubt anyone here would advocate for forcing me to start writing "properly" in order to treat this "condition." So why would you try to force such measures upon your sister, who merely writes at a different angle from most people?

If you can show that her idiosyncrasies constitute a significant detriment to her writing performance or overall quality of life, that's one thing. However, forcing her to do things your way solely due to the assumption that your way is the only proper way is dangerously intolerant. One has to ask, why are you so concerned that she write the same way you do, and that deviations from such may be a recognized disease?

Good point(s). You're right. Thanks

Leveret said:

As a child, my mother was left-handed at the beginning, but she was forced by my grandmother to write "properly" in order to fix this "condition." IIRC my grandmother would hit my mother at her left hand if she tried to write left-handed. Fortunately, my mother did not repeat those tactics with me (I am left-handed as well).

Related to Possible Health Issue Related to Writing Improperly?

1. What are the potential health risks of writing improperly?

Writing improperly, such as using incorrect posture or grip, can lead to musculoskeletal problems such as carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis. It can also cause eye strain and headaches from prolonged screen use.

2. How can writing improperly affect my mental health?

Writing improperly can lead to increased stress and anxiety, as well as decreased productivity and motivation. It can also contribute to conditions such as writer's block and perfectionism.

3. Can writing improperly impact my overall well-being?

Yes, writing improperly can have a negative impact on your overall well-being. It can affect your physical health, mental health, and even your social life if it interferes with your ability to work or engage in activities you enjoy.

4. Are there any preventative measures I can take to avoid health issues related to writing improperly?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to prevent or reduce the risk of health issues related to writing improperly. These include practicing proper posture and taking breaks to stretch and rest your hands and eyes. It is also important to use ergonomic tools, such as a comfortable chair and keyboard, and to vary your writing methods (e.g. typing vs. handwriting).

5. What should I do if I am already experiencing health issues related to writing improperly?

If you are experiencing any health issues related to writing improperly, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and treatment. They may recommend exercises, physical therapy, or ergonomic adjustments to help alleviate symptoms. It is also important to take breaks and listen to your body to prevent further damage.