Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible to Shield Astronauts from Cosmic Radiation?

1. May 24, 2006 #1
    Do we have the technology to properly shield astronauts on a mission to Mars from interplanetary radiation? How much of a health issue is this radiation?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

In the designs I've seen, the food and water for the voyage would be stored around the living chambers, and absorb most solar radiation. In addition, a very small led-lined compartment has been proposed for emegencies. If a solar flare is detected, the cosmonauts lock themselves in this room untill the worst has passed.

Of course, protection on the planet's surface is also a challenge, and may be haredr to solve.

4. Jun 11, 2006 #3
    I read in a science journal, that the creation of a powerful magnetic field around the spaceship via superconductors would lower the danger of cosmic rays.

5. Jun 11, 2006 #4
    Yes, but I think that a magnetic field that strong might also interfere with ordinary body chemistry.

6. Jun 11, 2006 #5
    They still have to deal with cosmic radiation.

On the planet's surface they might just borrow into the ground.

7. Jun 12, 2006 #6
    I don't think the problem is in the technology, dimensionless. It's the weight.

8. Jun 14, 2006 #7

LURCH

Science Advisor

That's an idea I once had, too. If the vehicle uses ion propulsion, the magnetic field for the engines might be used as shielding also.

9. Jun 15, 2006 #8
    Does anybody know if Superconductors let X-Rays pass as easly as the same Superconductors that are not in a Superconductive state?

Also, Please pose the same question for BEC states and not just Superconductors.

An honest answer will be sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?