Possible tracks during Masters Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's decision to pursue a Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering, despite having a background in Mechanical Engineering and consumer products production. They express their passion for aviation and inquire about which topics or tracks would be suitable for their previous experience to be relevant. Some possible tracks mentioned are composite materials, flight loads/aeroelasticity/aerodynamics, contemporary manufacturing techniques, and CFD/Finite Element Method/simulation. The speaker also mentions their proficiency in CAD software and analysis packages. They also express interest in commercial aviation management and the possibility of doing a PhD in this field. The other person advises them to check if their university offers a doctorate in aerospace systems engineering and suggests starting out confidently with CFD/FEM
FAlonso
I am having a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering and worked in consumer products production industry for some 4 years. I decided to go for Aerospace Engineering masters, a complete change of track from my work experience, primarily due to my passion for aviation. I wanted to ask what topics/tracks can I select that not only make my previous kinda irrelevant experience count, and is primarily focused on aviation side. Some tracks I see possible are:

• Composite Materials
  • Flight loads/Aeroelasticity/Aerodynamics
  • Contemporary Manufacturing Techniques (like 3D printing)
  • CFD/Finite Element Method/Simulation
These are some very focused tracks. However, since I did not have any work experience in them, apart from basic know-how through bachelors and now masters, I am afraid of having to choose one of these fields and later on find out it's too much for me. I am good with CAD softwares, some analysis packages (like ANSYS as well).

Another field, for which I do not have enough insight or information is related to commercial aviation management, airports, air navigation & regulation, development etc. Is it possible to work on a thesis in these kind of fields and later on do a PhD? I find that these fields are mainly operations management and systems development. Does the industry work in the form of research groups on these topics and that, it is possible to go for a PhD in it (which is my main goal).

Looking forward to the advice.

Warm Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked to see if your university offers a doctorate for aerospace systems engineering? The thesis/dissertation must be completed in academia for credit (which may be partnered with industry R&D), you cannot usually work on it through an employer in industry, although industry is the bulk of research in systems development. It looks like to me that you are already qualified to work in many of those positions, I don't see a need for you to work on a doctorate just yet, unless you are wanting to start out at a higher level position. Maybe a track that you are somewhat prepared for, but still will learn from the challenge? Looks like you could start out confidently with CFD/FEM. Have you started looking at available positions to get a feel for what your options are?

Thank you Fervent for your input.

You are right that thesis is always done with academia. However, you can sometimes opt for thesis in a company, where a supervisor from university supervises as well as one from industry.

On numbers, yes I might count as experienced guy. But as I mentioned, my years of working experience are not related to aviation/aeronautics. I am looking for advice to pick a track where this experience can count a bit.

What are the different tracks available in a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

The most common tracks in a Masters in Aerospace Engineering are: Aerodynamics, Propulsion, Structures and Materials, Controls and Dynamics, and Space Systems Engineering.

What is the difference between a thesis and non-thesis option in a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

The thesis option requires students to conduct independent research and write a thesis, while the non-thesis option involves coursework and a final project or comprehensive exam. The thesis option is typically preferred for students pursuing a Ph.D. or a career in research, while the non-thesis option is more suitable for those seeking industry positions.

Can I switch tracks during my Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

Generally, yes. Depending on the program, students may have the flexibility to switch tracks by taking additional courses or conducting research in the desired area. However, it is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure a smooth transition and to meet all degree requirements.

What is the job outlook for graduates with a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

The job outlook for graduates with a Masters in Aerospace Engineering is positive, with a projected growth rate of 3% from 2019 to 2029. Graduates can find employment in various industries, including aerospace, defense, government, and research and development.

What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

A Masters in Aerospace Engineering provides students with a strong foundation in advanced mathematics, aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, and controls. Students also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management skills, as well as gain knowledge in the latest technologies and industry practices.