Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 813K views
larkspur said:
If you only had some Guinness ice cream to top it off!:biggrin:
You are silly! We could have had Guiness ice cream after, but we would have to have room to fit it in. Once you have a "light" dinner that turns into something like this it is tough to add to it. A few minutes ago, though, I did have a few spoonfuls of the baked filling from a pumpkin pie that my wife made for my sister's BF. Killer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
You are silly! We could have had Guiness ice cream after, but we would have to have room to fit it in. Once you have a "light" dinner that turns into something like this it is tough to add to it. A few minutes ago, though, I did have a few spoonfuls of the baked filling from a pumpkin pie that my wife made for my sister's BF. Killer.
You are right...Guinness Ice Cream would go better with pizza wouldn't it? :wink:
 
We had a "repeat" of the "light supper" tonight, and I used extra salsa and extra pickles this time around. What a supper!

And yes, I have had pumpkin cheesecake. Almost as important as what kind of cheesecake is what kind of fruit sauce to drizzle over it! Hmmm, blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, pineapple, cherry...
 
Confirmation that my habaneros are really hot.

We made soup tonight - beef with vegetables and seasonings.

I broke open one of my small habaneros and put it in my bowl then spooned the soup into the bowl.

A while later my wife asked if I had put some hot sauce or hot peppers in the soup pot, but I hadn't. I mentioned that I had put one pepper in my bowl. Then I realized that I had handled the ladle after I had opened the habanero pepper. Despite my having washed my hands, there was sufficient oil from the pepper on the spoon that my wife got some on her finger, which she subsequently touched to her mouth/lips. She immediately got a severe burning sensation on her lips, then tongue and apparently throat. :rolleyes: Ooooops!

As for me, I hardly noticed it. :biggrin: The habaneros are great! :-p
 
My muse at work brought in home made chili today. It has habeneros in it. PERFECT. I've talked him into making his world famous shrimp gumbo next.
 
Guess what I had for supper last night? That vermin of vegetables, the eggplant! Like I said in another thread, it happens to be only a passive placeholder in the recipe of eggplant parmesan. Since it breaded and fried, then layered in spicy sauce with tomato, onion, mushroom, garlic, etc, then topped with parmesan cheese and baked, you hardly know it's there. Yay! Actually, that might be a good way to get rid of excess zucchini, too. Throw enough spices, sauteed vegetables, and cheese at it, and I can bear to eat it.
 
Evo said:
My muse at work brought in home made chili today. It has habeneros in it. PERFECT. I've talked him into making his world famous shrimp gumbo next.
How's the chili recipe coming?

Chili with habaneros! :-p Can you send me some? :biggrin:

I have a cold so I need some chicken soup with hot sauce. I use to treat a cold with a 'Death Burger'. :biggrin: It cleared the chest and sinuses.
 
Astronuc said:
Chili with habaneros! :-p Can you send me some? :biggrin:
Our chili always has habaneros AND jalapenos, as well as chili powder, cayenne, black pepper, etc, and hot Italian sausage. The more types of hot you put in, the more complex the flavor. It's not searing hot (to my mouth, anyway), but it'll make you sweat. The best thing to help break up a cold is a steaming hot bowl of homemade chili.
 
Got in the hot-food mood today, and am currently simmering down a big batch of pizza sauce. I start with 3 big cans of tomatoes and puree each in a blender with olive oil, oregano, garlic, onion powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne, a bit of honey, and most important a heaping spoonful of homemade habanero sauce. If we invite guests for pizza I'm going to have to make them sign releases - this is about the hottest batch I've ever made. I just had a little on some corn chips - it's got a sneaky burn that kind of creeps up on you.
 
The guy who runs the local grocery store has been pretty impressed by some of the salsas, pickles, etc that my wife takes to her sister (who works at the store and makes a lot of the prepared foods for the pizza/deli section). Today he sent her home with a jar of his homemade salsa and a jar of his homemade green tomato pickles. We haven't opened the salsa yet (We are working our way through a jar of the best green tomato salsa the world has ever known. We're not giving any of THAT batch away for Christmas!) but we have tried the green tomato pickles and they are very good, with 3 different types of chilies in there for heat. Nice big sour spicy chunks of green tomatoes. I'm certain that my wife can improve on his recipe, but it is certainly a good starting point.
 
CHEF'S TASTING DINNER MENU
1st Course: Grilled Chicken Skewer, peanut sauce, pickled cucumber garnish

2nd Course: Hearts of Romaine Salad, cucumber, grape tomatoes, crispy shallots, fresh mint, lime vinaigrette

3rd Course: Herb Roasted Half of Baby Hen

4th Course: Grilled Baby Lamb Chop served with crispy fried onions

5th Course: Caramelized Banana Spring Roll with strawberries

6th Course: Snickers In A Cup, brownie, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, peanuts, and whipped cream
:-p
http://www.parkeastgrill.com/TastingMenu.htm

http://www.parkeastgrill.com/menus.htm :-p

http://www.parkeastgrill.com/Scotch.htm

http://www.parkeastgrill.com/privatewine.htm

Evo, it's in New York City! :wink:
 
MMMM...My Father taught me how to make this Puerto Rican dish called picadillo.(I am part Puerto Rican) It is a mixture of tomatoes,capers,raisins,ground beef,olives, and special spices served over rice. Cook up a batch in the morning and let it simmer all day until dinner=delicious.
 
matthew baird said:
MMMM...My Father taught me how to make this Puerto Rican dish called picadillo.(I am part Puerto Rican) It is a mixture of tomatoes,capers,raisins,ground beef,olives, and special spices served over rice. Cook up a batch in the morning and let it simmer all day until dinner=delicious.
Nix the raisins and it sounds yummy!
 
matthew baird said:
MMMM...My Father taught me how to make this Puerto Rican dish called picadillo.(I am part Puerto Rican) It is a mixture of tomatoes,capers,raisins,ground beef,olives, and special spices served over rice. Cook up a batch in the morning and let it simmer all day until dinner=delicious.
One can substitute currants for raisans. I have had similar dishes prepared with lamb instead of beef, and without the capers.
 
Evo said:
Nix the raisins and it sounds yummy!
OOO trust me the raisins are awesome in it. I know it sounds weird at first, but once your taste it mmmmmm...ooo Astronuc: I never though about a different meat, lamb would be awesome!:biggrin:
 
matthew baird said:
OOO trust me the raisins are awesome in it. I know it sounds weird at first, but once your taste it mmmmmm...ooo Astronuc: I never though about a different meat, lamb would be awesome!:biggrin:
The picadillo is similar to some Indian dishes my mom cooked. She also did lamb or chicken curries, some of which were similar to picadillo.
 
Astronuc said:
One can substitute currants for raisans. I have had similar dishes prepared with lamb instead of beef, and without the capers.
I'd probably pass on the capers, but the rest sounds yummy. One of my best friends is Puerto Rican, and I always love the food she makes that's traditional (even better if her mom cooks it for us :approve:). The first time she made a meat dish with olives in it, I was a bit hesitant. I never thought of olives as an ingredient, more of something you serve on a relish tray. But, boy oh boy, was that tasty! Now I add olives to dishes every once in a while, especially pot roast type stuff.
 
There are random ingredients that sound strange at first, like the olives/raisins/capers, but when you taste all of the flavors mixed together,mmmm. Yea I love the traditional dishes, I just wish I could cook many more so I could make them for chickies. They love it when you cook for em' haha ...that should be added to the "what a girl wants" thread.
 
Looking into how to make pepperoni sausages when i found this,

http://www.therecipeworks.com/recipe/homemade-pepperoni-sausage/

Now where doe's one buy (liquid smoke) :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
Looking into how to make pepperoni sausages when i found this,

http://www.therecipeworks.com/recipe/homemade-pepperoni-sausage/

Now where doe's one buy (liquid smoke) :smile:
I have a bottle in my kitchen, I've used liquid smoke for years. Here is the brand I use.

http://colgin.com/public/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
matthew baird said:
Yea I love the traditional dishes, I just wish I could cook many more so I could make them for chickies. They love it when you cook for em' haha ...that should be added to the "what a girl wants" thread.
While some are not so fond of being called a "chickie," you could probably make up for that mistake by cooking, yes. I think we have tried telling the guys that before...just the willingness to try cooking, even if you're not good at it, is a good thing. Many of us consider cooking a necessary chore, and a guy who will take his share of the burden doing that is definitely going to score extra points...bonus points if his cooking is good! :approve:
 
Evo said:
I have a bottle in my kitchen, I've used liquid smoke for years. Here is the brand I use.

http://colgin.com/public/

Ye gads, i thought that was miss print
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's time to start thinking Christmas cookies. I plan to send some out this year. Will Evo be able to stop procrastinating and actually make cookies? Will she manage to package them and ship them? It looks like I'll have 5 days off for Thanksgiving. If I do it all that weekend, I might actually manage.

I think I will stay with the Evo Child that weekend and put her into service. It's about time she learned to cook.
 
Smoke on a bottle... hmm... lol..
well there's a first time for everything...

ow and i see this interesting show the other day... or... a few minutes of it till it ended..

a Fly egg burger.. instead of meat you use fly eggs to make the beef.. looked good :P
The entire show was about making things from insects.. and they even suggested that everyone should start eating more insects as they're good for us.
the whole market they were shopping at had huge baskets with dried insects.. lol

Anyone up for a insect based christmas dinner ? :smile:

Speaking of christmas... first snow fell here woo :D
 
wolram said:
Ye gads, i thought that was miss print
No, some people actually put that stuff on their food. I prefer to use an actual smoker with real charcoal and real hickory chips (or perhaps cherry or alder chips). A 15# turkey will JUST fit in my smoker, and we have that for Thanksgiving every year. Turkey is wonderful when it is slow-roasted in hickory smoke. I did one in my brother-in-law's electrically-heated smoker last year because my smoker's water pan had a hole in it. That was a mistake. I gave him some of the meat and he agreed. He said that he always wondered by his smoked turkeys never tasted as good as mine, and now we're convinced that it's the combination of charcoal/chips combination that produces that great flavor. I've got a replacement water pan now, so I'm ready for T-day.
 
turbo-1 said:
No, some people actually put that stuff on their food. I prefer to use an actual smoker with real charcoal and real hickory chips (or perhaps cherry or alder chips). A 15# turkey will JUST fit in my smoker, and we have that for Thanksgiving every year. Turkey is wonderful when it is slow-roasted in hickory smoke. I did one in my brother-in-law's electrically-heated smoker last year because my smoker's water pan had a hole in it. That was a mistake. I gave him some of the meat and he agreed. He said that he always wondered by his smoked turkeys never tasted as good as mine, and now we're convinced that it's the combination of charcoal/chips combination that produces that great flavor. I've got a replacement water pan now, so I'm ready for T-day.
Liquid smoke is usually used to flavor things like dips & meatloaf, things that wouldn't normally get any smoky flavor.
 
Evo said:
Liquid smoke is usually used to flavor things like dips & meatloaf, things that wouldn't normally get any smoky flavor.
I haven't tried smoking meatloaf, but it sounds good, so I might give it a go sometime.
 
Moonbear said:
While some are not so fond of being called a "chickie," you could probably make up for that mistake by cooking, yes.(snip)
Mistake? Whats wrong with calling you a chickie?
 
Evo said:
It's time to start thinking Christmas cookies. I plan to send some out this year. Will Evo be able to stop procrastinating and actually make cookies? Will she manage to package them and ship them? It looks like I'll have 5 days off for Thanksgiving. If I do it all that weekend, I might actually manage.
Thinking Christmas already? Well Thanksgiving is just up ahead. The local municipal employees are putting up tree lights already.

Evo, whatever happened with the Chili competition?