Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 812K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
turbo said:Not good. Uncooked instant rice can kill birds and small animals when it absorbs water from their bodies and blocks their GI tract.
I've recently heard that's an urban legend.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
There is a big difference between uncooked rice and uncooked instant rice that has been milled and processed to absorb water as rapidly as possible. I am quite willing to be proven wrong, but I really don't want to hurt birds and small animals.
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
It's not really pertinent, but I remember once when I ate too much spaghetti, followed by too much watermelon. It stretched out my belly somewhat painfully.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Ouch.Jimmy Snyder said:It's not really pertinent, but I remember once when I ate too much spaghetti, followed by too much watermelon. It stretched out my belly somewhat painfully.
netgypsy
- 246
- 1
I'll check on the rice thing further. There is a similar idea that beet pulp which is the remains of sugar beets after the sugar is removed, will do the same thing to horses. It does expand hugely when you add water to it but the vet sites tell you that it can be fed dry with no problems. Some horses are very very stupid about eating though and will choke on almost anything because they inhale huge quantities so one doesn't feed anything in large quantities to a strange horse. There is also the suggestion that you put large rocks in the food dish of a gulping type horse to slow them down. Obviously large enough so they don't eat them or break their teeth.
Alkaselzer will kill if eaten dry. My college roommate was in a hurry to get to class and had a headache and just swallowed an alkaselzer tablet, then drank some water. She said it was terrible - she could hardly breathe she was burping up so much gas. her doctor told her she could have ruptured her stomach. So this one is no joke or myth.
Alkaselzer will kill if eaten dry. My college roommate was in a hurry to get to class and had a headache and just swallowed an alkaselzer tablet, then drank some water. She said it was terrible - she could hardly breathe she was burping up so much gas. her doctor told her she could have ruptured her stomach. So this one is no joke or myth.
alexg
- 127
- 0
Alkaselzer will kill if eaten dry. My college roommate was in a hurry to get to class and had a headache and just swallowed an alkaselzer tablet, then drank some water. She said it was terrible - she could hardly breathe she was burping up so much gas. her doctor told her she could have ruptured her stomach. So this one is no joke or myth.
I did that once when very, very drunk. I popped two in my mouth and tried to swallow them using a water fountain. They fizzed in my throat for a long, long time.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,229
- 61
I'll be trying the following chocolate cake tomorrow, which is basically chocolate with butter sin :) http://www.masterchef.com.au/bitter-chocolate-and-hazelnut-cake-with-raspberry-coulis.htm I can't wait!
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Sounds delicious! I love chocolate, hazelnuts and raspberries.Monique said:I'll be trying the following chocolate cake tomorrow, which is basically chocolate with butter sin :) http://www.masterchef.com.au/bitter-chocolate-and-hazelnut-cake-with-raspberry-coulis.htm I can't wait!
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
What's not to love?Evo said:Sounds delicious! I love chocolate, hazelnuts and raspberries.
alexg
- 127
- 0
I've been making a lot of guac lately, and using it where ever I would use mayo.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Evo will ban you!Borek said:I would add raisins.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
AAARRRGGH!Borek said:I would add raisins.
That *is* a banable offense.turbo said:Evo will ban you!
rollcast
- 403
- 0
Evo said:AAARRRGGH!
That *is* a banable offense.
What's wrong with raisins they make a lot of things better.
Take an apple tart for example, raisins in there takes what was just an ordinary pie to a new extra ordinary level, also a bit of lemon juice, cinammon and orange zest helps as well.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
It's a joke about my intense dislike for chocolate covered raisin candy. They're an abomination.rollcast said:What's wrong with raisins they make a lot of things better.
Take an apple tart for example, raisins in there takes what was just an ordinary pie to a new extra ordinary level, also a bit of lemon juice, cinammon and orange zest helps as well.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,229
- 61
Oohh, I like chocolate covered raisins, but I don't want raisins in my chocolate cake!
And I made the cake and it was DELICIOUS! actually the best chocolate cake I've ever tasted: the middle was still a gooey chocolate paste and the outside was crisp. It was best without the raspberry coulis, I thought it distracted from the intense chocolate flavor. We managed to eat half of the cake, which was quite a feat. It was actually quite nauseating melting almost equal amounts of chocolate and butter, but that feeling disappeared when a silken chocolate mixture appeared out of that :)
As a starter I made pea soup and as a main herb crumbled roast tomatoes with spinach and ricotta cannelloni. My guests rated me above a 4.5/5 star (TripAdvisor rating) restaurant that they visited the day before, so I can end the day on a good note
And I made the cake and it was DELICIOUS! actually the best chocolate cake I've ever tasted: the middle was still a gooey chocolate paste and the outside was crisp. It was best without the raspberry coulis, I thought it distracted from the intense chocolate flavor. We managed to eat half of the cake, which was quite a feat. It was actually quite nauseating melting almost equal amounts of chocolate and butter, but that feeling disappeared when a silken chocolate mixture appeared out of that :)
As a starter I made pea soup and as a main herb crumbled roast tomatoes with spinach and ricotta cannelloni. My guests rated me above a 4.5/5 star (TripAdvisor rating) restaurant that they visited the day before, so I can end the day on a good note
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
NOOOO! Et tu Monique?Monique said:Oohh, I like chocolate covered raisins,
YUM!And I made the cake and it was DELICIOUS! actually the best chocolate cake I've ever tasted: the middle was still a gooey chocolate paste and the outside was crisp. It was best without the raspberry coulis, I thought it distracted from the intense chocolate flavor. We managed to eat half of the cake, which was quite a feat. It was actually quite nauseating melting almost equal amounts of chocolate and butter, but that feeling disappeared when a silken chocolate mixture appeared out of that :)
As a starter I made pea soup and as a main herb crumbled roast tomatoes with spinach and ricotta cannelloni. My guests rated me above a 4.5/5 star (TripAdvisor rating) restaurant that they visited the day before, so I can end the day on a good note![]()
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
It's...it's...it's just so wrong...Borek said:![]()

Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
Crock of baloney stew
My father told this joke on more than one occasion and it certainly was funny the first time. He said that he crossed an abalone with a crocodile in hopes of getting an abadile, but all he got was a crock of baloney. And since this is the primary electioneering season, I thought it would be appropriate to cook up a big batch of the stuff.
1.17 lbs of stew meat, as marbled as you can get.
4 carrots.
3 potatoes. Potatoes come in different sizes so you can substitute 4 potatoes as long as the total volume comes to the same as 3 potatoes.
Mushrooms.
1 Bell pepper. Cause I can't eat onions.
1 can of sweet corn kernels.
Some water.
Some wine. The less water you use, the more wine you will need. I tend to use a drop of water, but not too large a drop.
Curry powder. Not too much, and not too little, but just right for your own taste.
Sear the meat, cut the veggies, put all the ingredients in the crock pot. Set it and forget it. Oops, is that considered plagiarism? Republicans and Democrats alike will be relieved to hear that no baloneys were harmed in the production of this stew.
I've never actually tasted this stew. I just got it started. I'll find out tonight how it tastes. My wife is sure to say it tasted good though. She'll just be relieved she didn't have to cook tonight and will be reluctant to throttle my budding efforts at cooking.
My father told this joke on more than one occasion and it certainly was funny the first time. He said that he crossed an abalone with a crocodile in hopes of getting an abadile, but all he got was a crock of baloney. And since this is the primary electioneering season, I thought it would be appropriate to cook up a big batch of the stuff.
1.17 lbs of stew meat, as marbled as you can get.
4 carrots.
3 potatoes. Potatoes come in different sizes so you can substitute 4 potatoes as long as the total volume comes to the same as 3 potatoes.
Mushrooms.
1 Bell pepper. Cause I can't eat onions.
1 can of sweet corn kernels.
Some water.
Some wine. The less water you use, the more wine you will need. I tend to use a drop of water, but not too large a drop.
Curry powder. Not too much, and not too little, but just right for your own taste.
Sear the meat, cut the veggies, put all the ingredients in the crock pot. Set it and forget it. Oops, is that considered plagiarism? Republicans and Democrats alike will be relieved to hear that no baloneys were harmed in the production of this stew.
I've never actually tasted this stew. I just got it started. I'll find out tonight how it tastes. My wife is sure to say it tasted good though. She'll just be relieved she didn't have to cook tonight and will be reluctant to throttle my budding efforts at cooking.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
You can't go wrong with beef and red wine. Are you using red curry? I *love* red curry with beef.Jimmy Snyder said:Crock of baloney stew
My father told this joke on more than one occasion and it certainly was funny the first time. He said that he crossed an abalone with a crocodile in hopes of getting an abadile, but all he got was a crock of baloney. And since this is the primary electioneering season, I thought it would be appropriate to cook up a big batch of the stuff.
1.17 lbs of stew meat, as marbled as you can get.
4 carrots.
3 potatoes. Potatoes come in different sizes so you can substitute 4 potatoes as long as the total volume comes to the same as 3 potatoes.
Mushrooms.
1 Bell pepper. Cause I can't eat onions.
1 can of sweet corn kernels.
Some water.
Some wine. The less water you use, the more wine you will need. I tend to use a drop of water, but not too large a drop.
Curry powder. Not too much, and not too little, but just right for your own taste.
Sear the meat, cut the veggies, put all the ingredients in the crock pot. Set it and forget it. Oops, is that considered plagiarism? Republicans and Democrats alike will be relieved to hear that no baloneys were harmed in the production of this stew.
I've never actually tasted this stew. I just got it started. I'll find out tonight how it tastes. My wife is sure to say it tasted good though. She'll just be relieved she didn't have to cook tonight and will be reluctant to throttle my budding efforts at cooking.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
So, how was the stew? It sounded like a twist on the classic boeuf bourgignon.
netgypsy
- 246
- 1
Cooked raisins are disgusting!
In any recipe that calls for heating chocolate and butter over hot water you can instead heat them in the microwave until the butter is liquid and some of the chocolate is still solid. At that point remove from the microwave and stir the mixture until the remaining solid chocolate also melts. This mixture should be cooled to room temperature before adding to eggs or it can actually cook the eggs and make the end product tough. And when it says unsalted butter, it does make a difference even if you add salt later in the recipe. Another trick is to bring the eggs to room temperature before using them. We used to put them in our pockets to warm them faster. The cake recipe sounds wonderful - have to try it.
In any recipe that calls for heating chocolate and butter over hot water you can instead heat them in the microwave until the butter is liquid and some of the chocolate is still solid. At that point remove from the microwave and stir the mixture until the remaining solid chocolate also melts. This mixture should be cooled to room temperature before adding to eggs or it can actually cook the eggs and make the end product tough. And when it says unsalted butter, it does make a difference even if you add salt later in the recipe. Another trick is to bring the eggs to room temperature before using them. We used to put them in our pockets to warm them faster. The cake recipe sounds wonderful - have to try it.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,229
- 61
netgypsy said:The cake recipe sounds wonderful - have to try it.
And I'm still enjoying it. I froze the left over cake and slowly defrost slices every other day. For the finishing touch I heat it in a low oven, to melt the interior slightly and regain a crispy crust. I had made up my mind to next time half the recipe and bake it in a smaller pan, now I'm reconsidering that thought
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
It didn't go over well. Perhaps I should have used red curry.Evo said:So, how was the stew? It sounded like a twist on the classic boeuf bourgignon.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I was going to give you some tips to consider but didn't want to come across wrong.Jimmy Snyder said:It didn't go over well. Perhaps I should have used red curry.
