Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 818K views
lisab said:
My husband is making a pea souffle right now. His cooking is o:):!).

Pea souffle? That sounds dreadful. Was it good?

btw, what is a soufflé?

Wiki says they are a source of funniness:

Due to soufflés' tendency to collapse quickly upon removal from the oven, they are frequently depicted in cartoons, comedies and children's programs as a source of humor.

[edit] Never mind. http://chateaudesiorac.com/pea-souffle/ sounds wonderful.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yanick said:
I have two questions for you, sir.

1. Do you actually do this for the holiday?

Normally we do, although these days we cheat a little bit, for example counting things separately (so the carp is one dish, and the horseradish sauce counts as another dish).

If yes to #1 then:

2. Can I come over for Christmas?

As said in the linked text - we have an extra plate ready.

This years Eve will be rather modest here, so it may require some additional creativity to count to 12 dishes. Still, pierogi are ready (two kinds), borscht is ready (we don't prepare uszka), Marzena will fry mushrooms in batter tomorrow, Junior will bring herrings (no idea about exact recipe, up to him) and some kind of a surprise dish. I am going to make dried fruit compote later today.

lisab said:
The cabbage rolls sound especially delicious :!).

Every family has its own set of traditional dishes and we never prepare them for Christmas. But yes, they are great.

I have an agreement with my neighbor - her web page sits on my server, and in exchange once a year in a spring she pays with a pot of gołąbki :wink:
 
OmCheeto said:
Pea souffle? That sounds dreadful. Was it good?

btw, what is a soufflé?

Wiki says they are a source of funniness:



[edit] Never mind. http://chateaudesiorac.com/pea-souffle/ sounds wonderful.

It really was wonderful. I don't eat peas very often but when I do, I ask myself why I don't eat peas more often.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
Borek said:
As said in the linked text - we have an extra plate ready.

Is it too unorthodox to have two extra plates? If not, I'll come too! Polish food isn't something I've really eaten much of, but every time I see a recipe on a cooking show or in a book I somehow have cravings for it.
 
Today I visited Pierre Hermé's famous shop on Rue Boneparte in Paris to buy myself a Christmas present:

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1011551_371705809640138_551651083_n.jpg

Included are the four macarons from the Pierre Hermé Christmas Collection:

- Wild Rose Hip, Fig & Foie Gras
- Chocolate & Foie Gras
- Candied Chestnut
- Pedro Ximenez and steeped sultanas

Yes...foie gras. I've only eaten one, and it was...different. At first all I could taste was the fig, and then the foie gras hit. I do enjoy foie gras, but it was a little weird in a macaron. I also bought a white truffle and hazelnut macaron, which was amazing. This was all after waiting in line for about 40 minutes to get into the shop :eek:
 
danago said:
Today I visited Pierre Hermé's famous shop on Rue Boneparte in Paris to buy myself a Christmas present:

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1011551_371705809640138_551651083_n.jpg

Included are the four macarons from the Pierre Hermé Christmas Collection:

- Wild Rose Hip, Fig & Foie Gras
- Chocolate & Foie Gras
- Candied Chestnut
- Pedro Ximenez and steeped sultanas

Yes...foie gras. I've only eaten one, and it was...different. At first all I could taste was the fig, and then the foie gras hit. I do enjoy foie gras, but it was a little weird in a macaron. I also bought a white truffle and hazelnut macaron, which was amazing. This was all after waiting in line for about 40 minutes to get into the shop :eek:
I can't imagine foie gras in a cookie.
 
Pierre Hermé is somewhat notorious for his unusual flavours, but I think this was a little too unusual. The foie gras wasn't overly strong, but it was definitely there. I didn't hate it (I finished both, after all), but the ultimate question is "would I buy them again?", and the answer is probably "no". I just enjoyed the others a lot more than I did those with foie gras.
 
danago said:
but the ultimate question is "would I buy them again?", and the answer is probably "no". I just enjoyed the others a lot more than I did those with foie gras.
Or the question could be: "should you buy it in the first place"? Foie gras is a controversial product, whose production is banned in many countries.
 
We use a lot of fresh vegetables, and often make soups or stews, and other dishes, from scratch.

My folks used to make bread and marmelade. I happened across an article on butter making, which referenced a book. I grew up with a garden, because in the early years, we had to grow much of our own food.

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1451605870/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I often make butter, just put heavy cream in a jar and shake.
 
I also like making butter at home, although I normally do it with an electric beater followed by washing and straining through cheese cloth. I would also love to be able to make my own bread (give me nice fresh bread and slightly salted butter and I am in heaven), which I have done numerous times, however I always end up going back to the bakery, partly because I don't have the time to keep up with my demand for bread, but mostly because I can never do it as well as the professional bakers.
 
hypatia said:
I often make butter, just put heavy cream in a jar and shake.
I love homemade butter, it is so much better than what you buy, and so easy to make. I had an antique mini butter churn that had belonged to my grandmother and it was accidentally thrown out along with an entire box full of antiques during a move.
 
I made borsch soup yesterday, good ol' russian meal, a bowl of borsch and a piroshki.
 
Lunch today: "Pizza e mortadella" from Il Fornaio in Rome. It was seriously simple yet seriously good, which is why there was a line going out the door and the inside was absolute chaos with no sense of order at all. I went in expecting to buy a slice of pizza, but saw everybody ordering this, so I asked one of the locals what it was called. I must say, great last minute change of decision :smile:

https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1488011_379553392188713_1435596976_n.jpg
 
*now* said:
^
Yum.

So so yum!

On a side note, although somewhat unrelated to food but perhaps of interest to people on this forum, I also visited the Archimedes exhibition in Rome today, at i Musei Capitolini. It wasn't a big exhibition, but featured a few pieces about his life in Siracusa, followed by an exhibition demonstrating some of his famous inventions and major scientific contributions, such as the lever, parabolic mirrors to burn ships with sunlight, the Archimedes Screw and some of his works in mathematics. It was a refreshing change from the usual visits to art museums, however there were too many school kids running around playing with the gadgets

For the purpose of making this post related to the thread: I had some great stracciatella ice cream after my visit to the museum.
 
I was experimenting last night and came up with General Tso's potatoes. It turned out really good. I'll definitely have to make that again.
 
Borg said:
I was experimenting last night and came up with General Tso's potatoes. It turned out really good. I'll definitely have to make that again.
I recently found a great frozen General Tso's chicken, what is your recipe for the potatoes?
 
danago said:
So so yum!

On a side note, although somewhat unrelated to food but perhaps of interest to people on this forum, I also visited the Archimedes exhibition in Rome today, at i Musei Capitolini. It wasn't a big exhibition, but featured a few pieces about his life in Siracusa, followed by an exhibition demonstrating some of his famous inventions and major scientific contributions, such as the lever, parabolic mirrors to burn ships with sunlight, the Archimedes Screw and some of his works in mathematics. It was a refreshing change from the usual visits to art museums, however there were too many school kids running around playing with the gadgets

For the purpose of making this post related to the thread: I had some great stracciatella ice cream after my visit to the museum.
danago, I absolutely love your posts!
 
danago said:
Lunch today: "Pizza e mortadella" from Il Fornaio in Rome. It was seriously simple yet seriously good, which is why there was a line going out the door and the inside was absolute chaos with no sense of order at all. I went in expecting to buy a slice of pizza, but saw everybody ordering this, so I asked one of the locals what it was called. I must say, great last minute change of decision :smile:

https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1488011_379553392188713_1435596976_n.jpg

Hmm... That looks like a bologna sandwich.

google google google

Focaccia croccante con mortadella e stracchino = "Crispy focaccia with mortadella and soft cheese" per google translate

I know what "focaccia" is, but what is "mortadella"?

google google google

MORTADELLA
Known as the “Italian Bologna”

It is a bologna sandwich.

Though it looks infinitely tastier than the bologna sandwiches I'm familiar with.

Thanks!
 
Evo said:
I recently found a great frozen General Tso's chicken, what is your recipe for the potatoes?
I diced and fried two large potatoes. When it was nearly done, I added about a 1/8 cup of General Tso sauce and 1/8 cup of barbeque sauce. Pretty simple really.
 
lendav_rott said:
Doesn't look that tasty in the picture - looks too dry.

I thought the same, until I looked at the pictures in the link I provided.

If I could read Italian, I'd probably be making it right now.

Odd that Evo is listed as an ingredient: 10 grams Olio Evo
:-p
 
OmCheeto said:
I thought the same, until I looked at the pictures in the link I provided.

If I could read Italian, I'd probably be making it right now.

Odd that Evo is listed as an ingredient: 10 grams Olio Evo
:-p

Happy to translate it if you'd like :smile:
 
danago said:
Happy to translate it if you'd like :smile:

Not necessary. I really don't have time to cook. Just keep posting. :smile:
 
Borek said:
Todays dinner - đuveč, just purely vegetarian version. Perfect!

Thank god, it comes in a can. :smile:

http://www.podravka.com/repository/images/_variations/1/4/1441524c6c4ddb9a916fea3bc3979563_content_medium_noaspect.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
mortadella looks more like this, it has a lot of fat.

mortadella_slice_b.JPG