Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 813K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds really good Ben. I also agree on the potatoes, I like a little toothiness to the potatoes, or "owl Don tay" as a cooking judge on tv said the other night.
 
Last night I lightly cooked 3 pounds of hamburger meat and used about 1/2 pound in a makeshift "stir fry". Turned out very yummy.

But now I need to think of something fabulous to make with the rest of it. I'm going to use 1 pound for shepherd's pie, but I need something new to do with the rest.

Any suggestions?
 
When we cook a bunch of loose hamburg (nearing expiration, perhaps), we often throw together quick and dirty meals using soft tortillas. Sautee onions, mushrooms, peppers (including chilies of course) and other vegetables to taste, put cooked hamburg on a soft tortilla, and top with the vegetables. Top all that with some home-made salsa (my green tomato-jalapeno is my favorite) fresh chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese, roll them up and 'nuke 'em in the microwave. Very tasty, and easy to make.
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
Last night I lightly cooked 3 pounds of hamburger meat and used about 1/2 pound in a makeshift "stir fry". Turned out very yummy.

But now I need to think of something fabulous to make with the rest of it. I'm going to use 1 pound for shepherd's pie, but I need something new to do with the rest.

Any suggestions?

burritos or tacos
 
rewebster said:
burritos or tacos

If it is cooked, then that would not absorb enough...

Now a bolognese, would work...
 
Hamburger soup:

  • Lightly saute some carrots, onion, celery, garlic and green beans (oh the green beans are so great in this dish!)
  • Add some of your already cooked beef
  • Add a can of diced tomatoes (undrained) and beef broth (canned is OK) and a bay leaf
  • Bring to a low boil
  • Add some elbow macaroni and return to a boil. Monitor the liquid level, adding water as needed.
And it's done when the macaroni is soft. I left all the proportions out because everyone does it differently, plus I know you're an experienced cook and can figure it out.

Great, fast soup for a cold day.
 
BTW, you may be tempted to hold out the chopped fresh tomatoes until you have microwaved the roll-ups. Don't do it. Tomatoes have a nice character when lightly cooked this way, and that works well with the melted cheese.
 
Evo said:
or "owl Don tay" as a cooking judge on tv said the other night.
:smile: why do you torture yourself by watching these shows!
 
Monique said:
:smile: why do you torture yourself by watching these shows!
It's a sickness. My wife watches some Food Network shows "for ideas", though we are probably better cooks than 90+% of the "chefs" on that network. I finally got her to stop watching the Neelys. I just can't stand the over-the-top saccharine fawning and honey-dear talk, with the obligatory "y'all" every 10 seconds or so.
 
Evo said:
Sounds really good Ben. I also agree on the potatoes, I like a little toothiness to the potatoes, or "owl Don tay" as a cooking judge on tv said the other night.

I wonder how much owl you're supposed to put in there :confused:
 
lisab said:
I wonder how much owl you're supposed to put in there :confused:

I don't want to hear about your interpretation of spotted dick. Now to be honest, when I was 9 years of age, I was taken to a nice restaurant, and ordered the Sweetbreads. I believed that it was SWEET BREAD, and I was not happily surprised. 2 years later I experienced catharsis by tricking a cousin in the same way. :biggrin:
 
IcedEcliptic said:
So Evo, what did you end up making?

My dinner:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/grilled-romaine-recipe/index.html

and a lovely chicken slow cooked in a crock-pot with basic mirepoix, subbing some of the onion for Chipotles, added cilantro, salt, pepper, a little chicken stock, some rutabaga, parsnip. My wife does the dishes and hates to cook, I love to cook and hate dishes. Life is good :)
Nothing yet. I ate more of the stir fry and I'm not hungry, so perhaps tomorrow.
 
Evo said:
Nothing yet. I ate more of the stir fry and I'm not hungry, so perhaps tomorrow.

Mmmm, stir fry is a no-lose proposition. You could use it to make Chili, or a "do it yourself without the crap" hamburger helper! Spices, cheese, some Italian breadcrumbs, a little beef stock or water, a dash of salt, sugar, and pepper...
 
Hyped said:
Lebanese food is one of the best in the world.

True.
 
IcedEcliptic said:
They were a hit!

You and I posted at about the same time, so I never saw this. Glad you liked them.

I'm guessing that you cooked the meat until it was too dry? I like them best when just a little liquid burns my fingers with each bite. :biggrin:

Yes, I love all Mexican food with a passion. Over the years it became clear that in particular, I love the flavor of serrano peppers. And you can't put too much cilantro in salsa, afaic. Chorizo and eggs on a flour tortilla, for breakfast? Mmmmmmmm! And I'll make a taco out of just about anything, Try a ham, cheese, and egg [omlette] taco with Pico Pica hot sauce - wonderful.

Fried ice cream is another favorite of ours.
 
This is what I'm having right now:

http://lahary.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/lasagne.jpg"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just fried up some bacon, threw in some finely chopped green vidalias and garlic, let them sweat, threw in a pound of black beans, water to cover, salt. When they get tender, I'll add some lime juice, cumin and cilantro.

I am so glad that cooking with bacon and bacon grease is back in fashion.
 
Evo said:
I am so glad that cooking with bacon and bacon grease is back in fashion.
It went out of fashion? That's what I get for living in a backwater.
 
turbo-1 said:
It went out of fashion? That's what I get for living in a backwater.
All of these health food nuts that would have the rest of us eating like anorexic rabbits. And they're the ones dying off.

Unless you have serious medical conditions that require restricted diets, eat! Eat good food, just eat in moderation. I'd rather eat a small amount of orgasmic food than a bucket of crap. You only live once. Don't deprive yourself.
 
Life without some modicum of pork fat is probably not worth living. :)
 
Evo said:
All of these health food nuts that would have the rest of us eating like anorexic rabbits. And they're the ones dying off.

Unless you have serious medical conditions that require restricted diets, eat! Eat good food, just eat in moderation. I'd rather eat a small amount of orgasmic food than a bucket of crap. You only live once. Don't deprive yourself.
My mother and my grandmother always cooked with bacon, salt pork, and the saved greases, as well as butter. I never managed to crack 120# until I entered engineering school, stopped competitive long-distance running and Nordic skiing, and started planting my butt in a desk-chair for 3-4 hrs a night studying. Really lean! Every summer, my parents would let me spend a week or two with my grandparents, and my grandmother would load me with cream and berries in the morning, with bacon, eggs, and fried potatoes, etc for breakfast. Every meal went the same. She tried to put 5# on me every week because I was "too skinny". She was brought up on a farm, and fed river-drivers as a cook, so she knew how to fuel calorie-burners.
 
turbo-1 said:
My mother and my grandmother always cooked with bacon, salt pork, and the saved greases, as well as butter. I never managed to crack 120# until I entered engineering school, stopped competitive long-distance running and Nordic skiing, and started planting my butt in a desk-chair for 3-4 hrs a night studying. Really lean! Every summer, my parents would let me spend a week or two with my grandparents, and my grandmother would load me with cream and berries in the morning, with bacon, eggs, and fried potatoes, etc for breakfast. Every meal went the same. She tried to put 5# on me every week because I was "too skinny". She was brought up on a farm, and fed river-drivers as a cook, so she knew how to fuel calorie-burners.
Even if you don't need to put on pounds, satisfying food keeps you full longer, so you eat less.

The Evo Child and I were discussing this. If we eat "light" food, we're hungry and eat all day. One salad can have 1,200 or more calories, but you feel hungry again in a few hours. But one Hardees burger will keep us fed and satisfied for two days.
 
Did you know that if you cook ultra expensive sashimi grade ahi tuna well done that you can't tell it apart from 50 cent canned tuna?

Yep, it's true. :devil: Now I know.

No wonder they never cook it, but only sear the outside, or serve it raw.

I will never pay for that stuff again. Especially after watching the parasite marathon on DHC yesterday.
 
Evo said:
Did you know that if you cook ultra expensive sashimi grade ahi tuna well done that you can't tell it apart from 50 cent canned tuna?

Yep, it's true. :devil: Now I know.

No wonder they never cook it, but only sear the outside, or serve it raw.

I will never pay for that stuff again. Especially after watching the parasite marathon on DHC yesterday.

WHY would you cook it well done? The point of getting sashimi grade is so you can eat it raw as sashimi! :bugeye: