Post your recipes, cuisines, dishes and dining experiences

  • Thread starter Thread starter arunbg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Evo Food Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5,074 replies · 823K views
Here are the results of the gravlax:

attachment.php?attachmentid=64370&d=1385716003.jpg

Ingredients for mustard sauce: mustard, honey, coffee, white wine vinegar, grapeseed oil, and of course dill.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64371&d=1385716003.jpg

Mustard sauce whisked together.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64372&d=1385716003.jpg

Finished filets after curing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64373&d=1385716003.jpg

Sliced and laid out. Slicing job isn't that great, I've never sliced fish before.

attachment.php?attachmentid=64374&d=1385716003.jpg

Final presentation. Includes mustard sauce, salmon roe, and toasted skins.

It was delicious! I also made some other food, but didn't take so many fancy pictures.
 
Attachments
  • DSC_1177.jpg
    DSC_1177.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 568
  • DSC_1178.jpg
    DSC_1178.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC_1191.jpg
    DSC_1191.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC_1196.jpg
    DSC_1196.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC_1197.jpg
    DSC_1197.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks amazing, Ben! I didn't know there was coffee in the sauce! Love, love, love fresh dill with fish :!).

This Thanksgiving, we had a feast the day before Thanksgiving, then another feast day after Thanksgiving. Not much going on Thanksgiving day. Those of you living in step-families know the drill.

But today, we pressed a whole bunch of apples. Got over 12 gallons of cider! Two gallons we pasteurized and will drink as juice.

The other ten gallons we will ferment to hard cider. I did some chemical tests today. Based on those results we add sulfite to kill off all native fungus/yeast/bacteria in the juice. Then we add the good yeast, lock it up away from oxygen and in 2 or 4 months we will have hard cider :biggrin:!

What a busy day. I wish all my days were like today. Work, family, work, cleaning, work, family, eating, work. A very nice life indeed.
 
Wow that looks great Ben! Good bread and cured meats is always great :D I'm in Madrid at the moment, so am enjoying the jamón with bread that is available on just about every street here :smile:

25rl3cx.jpg
 
OMG Danago, I would kill for some Iberian ham, I can shuck out $2,022.30 for a ham. Sure, no problem.

http://www.mastercaviar.com/caviar/jamon-iberico-de-bellota_pata-negra-whole-bone-in-ham-12-21-lb..html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=master&utm_campaign=sale&gclid=CIPMndeKkrsCFYVZ7AodGykADg#googlebase

Oooh, I will be spending some time salivating over the food on that site for awhile. :!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
OMG Danago, I would kill for some Iberian ham, I can shuck out $2,022.30 for a ham. Sure, no problem.

http://www.mastercaviar.com/caviar/jamon-iberico-de-bellota_pata-negra-whole-bone-in-ham-12-21-lb..html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=master&utm_campaign=sale&gclid=CIPMndeKkrsCFYVZ7AodGykADg#googlebase

Oooh, I will be spending some time salivating over the food on that site for awhile. :!)

I think the photo I posted is just Serrano ham (cheaper), however I did try some of the Iberico de Bellota like in that link and it was sooo good :!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
With Christmas coming, thought I'd share some of my favorite holiday recipes.

Although this is called a "fruitcake", I'd call it a "nut cake". It is unlike any other fruitcake as it actually tastes good. It is a famous old recipe. I was thinking this year of substituting craisins and another dried fruit in place of the candied cherries and pineapple.

Mrs Harvey's White fruitcake

4 cups shelled pecans

3/4 pound candied cherries

1 pound candied pineapple

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 pound butter

1 cup sugar

5 large eggs

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

3 tsps vanilla extract

3 tsps lemon extract

Chop nuts and fruit into medium-size pieces; dredge with 1/4 cup of flour. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Sift together remaining flour and baking powder; fold into butter-egg mixture. Stir in vanilla and lemon extracts. Blend in fruit and nuts.

Grease a 10-inch tube pan.

Line with parchment, wax paper or foil; grease again. Pour batter into prepared pan or pans. Place in cold oven and bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours in tube pan or 2 hours in 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans at 250 degrees. Check cakes 1 hour before done and again in 30 minutes. When done, remove from oven; cool in pans on cake rack.

Makes 5 pounds of fruitcake.

Note: In 4 1/2-by-2 1/2-by-1 1/2-inch (baby) loaf pans, bake cake about 1 hour. For 1-pound cakes in 2-pound coffee cans, bake about 2 hours. In 5-ounce custard cups, bake about 1 hour. And in ungreased foil bonbon cups, bake about 30 minutes.
 
Last edited:
Here's my latest creation. Hamburgers with patatas bravas:

attachment.php?attachmentid=64739&stc=1&d=1386918860.jpg


The hamburgers are done in a skillet because I live in an apartment building and there is no place to put a grill.

I also learned how to fry potatoes!
 
Attachments
  • DSC_1222.jpg
    DSC_1222.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 502
I'm hungry, too. I woke up this afternoon dreaming that we had leftover turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, vegetables, etc in the 'fridge, and wanted some NOW. Not so fast.
 
This is my girl's favorite Christmas cookie. I started making these with my mom when I was a small child, an old recipe off a box of corn flakes.

Cherry Winks

Ingredients

3/4 cup shortening (I use crisco) Do not use oil! This is the white stuff in the can, now available in sticks.
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/3 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
2 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
10 maraschino cherries, quartered

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets (or line with aluminum foil, shiny side down, parchment, etc...)

Cream the shortening with the sugar. Blend in the eggs, milk and vanilla.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the chopped pecans, chopped dates and 1/3 cup maraschino cherries.

Shape teaspoonful sized chunks of dough into balls. Roll each ball in the crushed corn flakes. Place balls on the prepared baking sheets and top each cookie with 1/4 maraschino cherry (pressed lightly into center, cut side down).

Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in airtight containers.
 
Sounds great Evo. I would probably use butter instead of shortening though, because I really do love butter (probably too much).
 
I'm in Nice at the moment, and just had some socca, one of the foods eaten regularly here. Socca is a flat cake made from chickpea flour and cooked in a wood-fired oven.

519893soccanicesmall.jpg
 
danago said:
Sounds great Evo. I would probably use butter instead of shortening though, because I really do love butter (probably too much).
The shortening is needed for the texture, and they would spread too much with butter. I also usually prefer the taste of butter in my cookies, but you won't miss it in this one.
 
danago said:
I'm in Nice at the moment, and just had some socca, one of the foods eaten regularly here. Socca is a flat cake made from chickpea flour and cooked in a wood-fired oven.

519893soccanicesmall.jpg
I have family in Nice! When I was there I don't remember seeing these, but it was ages go. They look good, and I actually have chickpea flour.
 
Evo said:
I have family in Nice! When I was there I don't remember seeing these, but it was ages go. They look good, and I actually have chickpea flour.

Just about every second cafe seems to sell it, although the place I went to had a long line (I waited about 30 minutes, and socca directly from the wood fire was the only thing they sold) so I assume this was on the better end of the scale. It's very addictive!

So far, Nice seems like a great, albeit very small, city. It is my first time in France, and I am trying to speak French wherever possible, mais malheureusement mon français n'est pas trés bon!
 
I made oatmeal with egg nog for breakfast this morning. It's pretty good.
 
I was walking through some market stalls and couldn't help myself...I go weak at the knees for Nutella.

1491443_10152460333924115_74250987_o.jpg
 
Ewwww, that's no food for me.

Last weekend I was busy cooking again for friends and made a "Persian" dinner.
Amuse: stuffed apricot (with herb cheese, dille and a pecan nut)
Appetizers: stuffed cherry tomatoes (with diced onion/herbs/and an olive), stuffed mushrooms (bread crumbs/pecorino/herbs) and stuffed bell pepper (spiced couscous)
Main course: beet/sweet potato/grated carrot salad with orange dressing, lentil/tomato salad with blue berries/ basil/ pistachio nuts, rice cake filled with spinach, and a herbed omelet.
Dessert: simple vanilla ice cream with warm blue berries and a waffle.

Tonight I have left-over rice cake with the beet/sweet potato salad.. can't wait to dig in :biggrin: *edit* a blurry picture, but the fragrance coming off the dish is amazing:
 
Attachments
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Monique said:
Ewwww, that's no food for me.

Last weekend I was busy cooking again for friends and made a "Persian" dinner.
Amuse: stuffed apricot (with herb cheese, dille and a pecan nut)
Appetizers: stuffed cherry tomatoes (with diced onion/herbs/and an olive), stuffed mushrooms (bread crumbs/pecorino/herbs) and stuffed bell pepper (spiced couscous)
Main course: beet/sweet potato/grated carrot salad with orange dressing, lentil/tomato salad with blue berries/ basil/ pistachio nuts, rice cake filled with spinach, and a herbed omelet.
Dessert: simple vanilla ice cream with warm blue berries and a waffle.

Tonight I have left-over rice cake with the beet/sweet potato salad.. can't wait to dig in :biggrin: *edit* a blurry picture, but the fragrance coming off the dish is amazing:

Sounds like a great menu, although I've never had a salad of blueberries and basil before. Is that a combination typical of the Persian cuisine, or is it something you came up with?
 
danago said:
Sounds like a great menu, although I've never had a salad of blueberries and basil before. Is that a combination typical of the Persian cuisine, or is it something you came up with?

That's the one thing (well, together with the dessert) that wasn't Persian :smile: The ingredients are combined with the lentils and cherry tomatoes and the vibrant colors, in my opinion, made it fit for a "Persian" dinner theme :wink:

What the salad looks like (image not mine):
001020424_001_FRAL13121121_300.jpg
 
Monique said:
That's the one thing (well, together with the dessert) that wasn't Persian :smile: The ingredients are combined with the lentils and cherry tomatoes and the vibrant colors, in my opinion, made it fit for a "Persian" dinner theme :wink:

What the salad looks like (image not mine):
001020424_001_FRAL13121121_300.jpg

Looks great! I've got a thing for salads with nuts, although I usually default to pine nuts. I think I'll use pistachios in my next salad now though :)
 
Elk stir fry!

My normal main meal these days is generally stir fry, with kale, spinach, chard, broccoli, cauliflower, three colors of bell pepper, carrots, onion, mushrooms, pea pods, sharp cheddar, maybe some tomatoes, and usually some kind of meat.

It goes well with pretty much anything - beef, chicken, turkey, ham... But a friend recently gave me some elk meat, which I had never tried. So I tried it in my stir fry and it was extremely tasty!
 
Borek said:

hmmmm... My mother was born in Poland, and she never mentioned this... :mad:

Though she did have a fondness for red beets. But she never made borscht. I've just recently heard that, made properly, it is delightful.

And what the heck is Pierogi. Isn't that a line from Men in Black?

google google google

Ah ha!

My mother made the best Pierogi on the planet. :thumbs:
 
My husband is making a pea souffle right now. His cooking is o:):!).
 
OmCheeto said:
... But she never made borscht. I've just recently heard that, made properly, it is delightful.
...

5000+ posts, and that was only the second time "Borscht" had been mentioned?

hmmmm...

I seem to recall people mentioning that my father's mother made borscht, but her parents were from the Ukraine.

I find it very strange that I've never had any.

Yay! Here is a site with several recipes:

Top 17 Polish soups

To this day there are arguments over who invented a borscht. Ukrainians are certain, that it is their traditional food. But completely the same Poles, Lithuanians, or even Romanians think. Well, we do not know the true origins of the borscht, but who cares? All types of borscht are delicious and that's what counts.

OMG! Even the astronauts had it:

320px-Borsch-tube.jpg

борщ in a tube​