Potato Launcher with Constant Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a robotic competition where a potato must be launched from a moving cart and pass through an opening in a wall. The cart moves at a speed of 20cm/s and the potato is launched from a height of 10cm. The screen is 85cm tall and the center of the wall opening is 20cm from the floor. The wall is 125cm to the right of the screen. The conversation also mentions using the information to calculate an initial velocity and angle of launch for the potato and how the velocity of the cart is not relevant to the problem.
apierron

Homework Statement

As a participant in a robotic competition, you must launch a potato from a moving cart and strike a target. The potato must reach the apex of flight just as it travels over a screen, then it must pass through the center of an opening in a wall. The cart moves at a steady speed of 20cm/s (+x). The potato is launched from a height of 10 cm above the floor. The screen is 85 cm tall. The center of the opening in the wall is 20cm from the floor. The wall is 125cm to the right of the screen. The situation is diagrammed below (I attached a picture) How far from the screen should the potato be launched in order to make the shot?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used the information from the right side to find time from apex to the opening of the window and that help me find the velocity in the x direction and the angle but I don't know how any of this relates to the cart and now I'm stuck!

Attachments

• Physics.bmp
    280 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have calculated an initial velocity and angle of launch for a potato launched from the center of the wall opening, you should be able to calculate how far away it would be from that launch point when it reaches the 10cm height on the other side of the screen.

So kind of like going backwards?

apierron said:
So kind of like going backwards?

Yes, just like going backwards! Projectile trajectories are reversible in this sense; if you have the "landing" parameters including speed and angle, you can fire a shot back along the original trajectory using that speed and angle to launch a projectile from that landing point.

Ok thanks! I think I have it figured out. I was wondering what did the velocity of the cart have to do with anything?

apierron said:
I was wondering what did the velocity of the cart have to do with anything?

Apparently, nothing at all. But I bet it distracted you :smile:

1. How does a potato launcher with constant velocity work?

A potato launcher with constant velocity works by using compressed air or a spring to launch a potato at a consistent velocity. The air or spring is released when the trigger is pulled, propelling the potato through a tube or barrel at a constant speed.

2. What is the purpose of a potato launcher with constant velocity?

A potato launcher with constant velocity is often used for fun or as a science experiment to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and velocity. It can also be used for target shooting or as a toy for outdoor activities.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a potato launcher?

The velocity of a potato launcher can be affected by the amount of air or spring tension used, the weight and size of the potato, and the length and diameter of the barrel. The angle at which the launcher is pointed and any external forces, such as wind, can also impact the velocity.

4. How far can a potato launcher with constant velocity shoot?

The distance a potato launcher can shoot depends on various factors, including the velocity, angle, and air resistance. On average, a potato launcher with constant velocity can shoot up to 100 feet, but with the right conditions, it can reach even farther distances.

5. Is a potato launcher with constant velocity safe to use?

As with any projectile device, there are potential risks associated with using a potato launcher. It is important to follow safety guidelines, such as wearing protective gear and using it in a controlled environment. With proper precautions and responsible use, a potato launcher with constant velocity can be a fun and safe activity.