Potential and Differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a 3kg particle in the xy plane under the influence of a force field with a potential of φ = 12x(3y - 4x). The initial position of the particle is given as r = 10i - 10j. The conversation also mentions setting up and solving differential equations, finding the position and velocity at any time, and the relationship between acceleration and position.
abramsay

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m = 3kg moves in the xy plane under the influence of a force field having potential φ = 12x(3y - 4x)
The particle starts at a point with position vector r = 10i - 10j.
a) set up the differential equations and conditions describing the motion.
b) solve th differential equations set up.
c) Find the position at any time.
d) Find the velocity at any time

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Really I can't do (a) and (b) but I know I would need it to solve (c) and (d)

Physics news on Phys.org
abramsay said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Really I can't do (a) and (b) but I know I would need it to solve (c) and (d)

What force does the given potential exert on the particle? What does Newton's 2nd law tell you about the effect of that force on the particle? How is acceleration [itex]\textbf{a}(t)[/itex] related to position [itex]\textbf{r}(t)[/itex]?

1. What is the difference between potential and differential equations?

Potential equations are used to describe the behavior of a quantity that depends on a single variable, while differential equations are used to describe the behavior of a quantity that depends on one or more variables and their derivatives.

2. What are some real-life applications of potential and differential equations?

Potential equations are commonly used in physics to analyze the behavior of electric and gravitational fields. Differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, economics, and biology, to model and predict various phenomena.

3. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a second-order differential equation would include a second derivative, while a first-order equation would only include a first derivative.

4. How are potential and differential equations solved?

Potential equations can often be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as integration. Differential equations, on the other hand, often require numerical methods to find approximate solutions.

5. Are potential and differential equations related?

Yes, potential equations can be thought of as a special case of differential equations, where the derivative is equal to zero. In other words, potential equations are a subset of differential equations.