Potential barrier problem in mechanics

Rhdjfgjgj
Homework Statement
Question:find minimum velocity so that the ball reaches A,B, and C .in the given figure
Relevant Equations
Energy conversion equation
IMG_20231012_194839.jpg

Here our sir said if I would apply energy conservation b/w initial point and B , we would get it wrong. But If I apply between initial point and D , we would get it right. He didn't tell why. Could anyone just explain why. One reason I thought was that since the question asked for minimum velocity and since D is a point of unstable equilibrium just giving enough velocity to get it past D is sufficient

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the diagram the initial point is at E. To get to B the ball must traverse D. The fact that B is lower than D does not matter according to classical mechanics. Mechanical energy must be conserved at every point along the path.
Quantum mechanics gives a slightly more nuanced answer.

Rhdjfgjgj said:
... One reason I thought was that since the question asked for minimum velocity and since D is a point of unstable equilibrium just giving enough velocity to get it past D is sufficient
I believe that your reasoning is correct.
Initial velocity at E should be the maximum minimum value that the ball will need to have to hit points A, B and C.

Edit: See post 4.

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
Initial velocity at E should be the maximum value that the ball will need to have to hit point A
I do not undertstand what this means. Why is there a maximum limit??

@Lnewqban and @Rhdjfgjgj I think the problem seeks a calculated value for ##v_0## not the ensuing values at various points on the course. Am I misreading it?

hutchphd said:
I do not undertstand what this means. Why is there a maximum limit??
Correction appreciated.
Post 3 edited.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is a potential barrier in mechanics?

A potential barrier in mechanics refers to a situation where an object is unable to move past a certain point due to a potential energy barrier. This can occur when the object's kinetic energy is not sufficient to overcome the potential energy barrier.

2. How does a potential barrier affect the motion of an object?

A potential barrier can either completely stop the motion of an object or cause the object to oscillate back and forth near the barrier. The exact effect depends on the object's energy and the height and width of the potential barrier.

3. What factors determine the height and width of a potential barrier?

The height and width of a potential barrier are determined by the properties of the object and the environment it is moving in. These include the object's mass, velocity, and the strength of the potential energy barrier.

4. How can potential barriers be overcome in mechanics?

To overcome a potential barrier in mechanics, the object must have enough kinetic energy to surpass the potential energy barrier. This can be achieved by increasing the object's velocity or by decreasing the height or width of the potential barrier.

5. What are some real-life examples of potential barrier problems in mechanics?

One example of a potential barrier problem in mechanics is a ball rolling up a hill. The hill acts as a potential energy barrier, and the ball must have enough kinetic energy to roll over the top. Another example is an electron moving through a potential energy barrier in a semiconductor material, which is important in electronic devices such as transistors.