1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Difference in a van der graaff generator

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    Hi, this problem is from 'Electromagnetism' by Grant & Phillips and it states,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    'http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m505/physicsbird1/126fig.png" [Broken] shows a cross-section of the cylindrical high-voltage terminal of a van der Graaff generator, surrounded by an 'intershield' and a pressure vessel, both of which are also cylindrical. The gas in the pressure vessel breaks down in electric fields greater than 1.6 x 10[itex]^{7}[/itex] volts/m. If the radii of the terminal, intershield and pressure vessel are 1.5 m, 2.5 m and 4 m respectively, what is the highest potential difference that can be maintained between the terminal and the pressure vessel?'

The answers given in the back of the book: '31.1 MV. When the terminal is at this voltage the intershield must be at 18.8MV to prevent breakdown.'

2. Relevant equations
    d∅ = -E[itex]\bullet[/itex]dr

E = [itex]q/4πε₀r^{2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1.6x10[itex]^{7}[/itex] = [itex]q/4πε₀(2.5)^{2}[/itex]

1.00x10[itex]^{8}[/itex] = [itex]q/4πε₀[/itex] (Let [itex]q/4πε₀[/itex] = A)

A = 1.00x10[itex]^{8}[/itex]

∅[itex]_{B}[/itex] - ∅[itex]_{A}[/itex] = -1.00x10[itex]^{8}[/itex][itex]\int^{4}_{1.5}[/itex](1[itex]/r^{2})[/itex]

= -1.00x10[itex]^{8}[-1/r]^{4}_{1.5}

= -1.00x10^{8} [-1/4 + 1/1.5]

= -4.17x10^{7}

So... can anybody tell me where I've went wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
  4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    You wrote, "E = q/4πε₀r^2"

E goes as 1/r ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook