1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference in parallel circuit

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am currently revising some AS level Circuit modules and i'm having trouble seeing how the P.D across 3 components in a parallel circuit can each have the same value as the P.D of the battery.
    I am probably just being dumb but its just not making sense!
    such as this:
    http://physicsnet.co.uk/wp-content/u...l-circuits.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
    I'm unable to access your problem. The link, when clicked, leads to a page which says Error 404:Page not found.

4. Mar 31, 2013 #3
  5. Apr 1, 2013 #4
    I'm sure you know that potential difference across an ideal conducting wire is always zero right?(Because no work is needed to be done by the electric field to move charges across it)

Now check out the attachment. (in the first figure) ABCD is an ideal conductor and so is PQRS. So potential difference across AB, BC and CD is zero right? Similarly across PQ, QR, RS.

So whatever was the potential at A will be the potential at B, C and D. Similarly, whatever was the potential at P will be the potential at Q, R and S.

Thus the potential difference across AP, BQ, CR and DS should be the same right?

So you can simply do away with all those excess connections and simply connect all the resistors across AP right? (Like in the second figure)

(In your question, when you added the voltages, you are siply adding thevoltages across the same two points)

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted