1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference of falling charge particle

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass 7*10e-5 kg and charge 1e-6 C from point A to point B a distance of 3 m in the earth's gravitational field. The kinetic energy of the particle decreases by 5.3mJ during this movement. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the potential difference Vb-Va?

2. Relevant equations

I don't know how to get the Electric Field. I know that its a positive charge going in the same direction as the gravitational field. Since the problem says that the final kinetic energy is decreasing, then I know the velocity is decreasing and giving me a hint that there is an electric field counteracting the gravitational field. I could use the sum of all forces to equate both the fields, but that is only when the charge would stop. Do I have the right Idea?

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried to do the sum of all forces and the conservation of energy.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

W = q*ΔV

So you have Δ½mv² and Δmgh.

So if there was some work involved ... any ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook