1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy Function Given E sub-t

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two atoms - larger (M) at rest smaller (m) at a straight line distance r where m < < M. Figure shows U(r) for various positions of the lighter atom.<p>
    1. . \
    . . . | E1 --------<br>
    0 - . \<br>
    . . . . \ . . . . . . . ____<br>
    -1. . . . \ E2--_/----<br>
    . . . . . . \_ _/<br>
    --.1 -- .2 --- .3 <p>
    For E1 = 1.0 x 10-19J and r = 0.30 (crosses E2 line) find the potential energy, the kenetic energy, and the force (magnitude and direction) acting on the atom.<p>
    U(r) is verticle at 10-19J<p>
    R in nm is horizontal

2. Relevant equations
    F = -dU/Dr<p>
    KE = mV2/2<p>

3. The attempt at a solution
    There were two other questions with this to describe the motion at ET >0 and <0, but I'm pretty sure I got them.
    Also I'm pretty sure the force (direction) is towards the atom at rest, but I'm not sure what to do to get KE, and should I estimate the value of the potential energy from my graph which is better, or estimate the slope. I just need a nudge in the right direction to get going on this.<p>
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2
    still need help on this one

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    Is NO ONE able to provide help with this?!?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?