Distance traveled by a particle using Potential energy function

In summary, to find the position when a 1kg particle comes to rest in a potential given by U(x)=3x2+4x-5, where x is in metres, the equation U(xf) = 3(xf)^2 +4(xf) -5 must be solved. This equation is derived from applying the conservation of work, where the initial potential and kinetic energy is equal to the final potential and kinetic energy. The final position is approximately 1.67m.
MissBisson

Homework Statement

A 1kg particle is in a potential given in joules by U(x)=3x2+4x-5, where x is in metres. The particle is initially at position x=1m and moving with velocity v=4m/s in the +x direction.

Find the position when the particle first comes to rest.

Homework Equations

dKe = Kf-Ki , Kf=0
Ke=-1/2mvi^2
F=ma
w=F x d

The Attempt at a Solution

U'(x) = 6x+4
Force at 1m = 10N
Ke=-1/2(1kg)(4)^2 = -8J
-8=10xd
d=-0.8m
d=xf-xi
-0.8=xf-1
xf=0.2m
However this was wrong. i also tried using several different methods but they were all wrong ..
Help would be appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no need to consider forces - just work with ... work.
What are the initial and final PEs and KEs?

Alright so,
Ui = 2J (at x=1) Uf=0J (at rest) dU=-2J
Ki = 8J (from 1/2mv^2) Kf=0J (at rest) dK=-8J
W= dK+dU = -2 + -8 = -10J
-dU/dx = F = -6x-4, therefore at x=1 F=-10N
W= F x d
-10J = -10N x d d=1?

MissBisson said:
Uf=0J (at rest)
No. If it finshes at position xf, what is U there? Remember, in this question U represents only the potential energy.
MissBisson said:
-dU/dx = F
As I said, you don't need to work with forces at all.

if i don't use forces, how do i find my distance ? I am confused...

MissBisson said:
if i don't use forces, how do i find my distance ? I am confused...
The force varies. You cannot here simply multiply force by distance to get energy. It requires an integration. So you might just as well work only with energy.
You correctly calculated the initial potential energy. Suppose the final position is xf. Using the same method, calculate the final potential energy in terms of xf.

Ahhh i see! So i solved the quadratic function and it gave me a positive and negative number.. i entered the positive number however that was wrong..? is it possible for the particle to have a negative final position?

MissBisson said:
Ahhh i see! So i solved the quadratic function and it gave me a positive and negative number.. i entered the positive number however that was wrong..?
That should have worked. Please post your working.

Okay, my procedure was;

U(xf) = 3(xf)^2 +4(xf) -5

xf = (-4 +/- sqrt(4^2-(4*3*-5)))/2*3
xf = (-4 +/- sqrt(16-(-0)))/6
xf = (-4 + sqrt(76))/6 = 0.786m
xf = (-4 - sqrt(76))/6 = -2.119m

MissBisson said:
Okay, my procedure was;

U(xf) = 3(xf)^2 +4(xf) -5

xf = (-4 +/- sqrt(4^2-(4*3*-5)))/2*3
xf = (-4 +/- sqrt(16-(-0)))/6
xf = (-4 + sqrt(76))/6 = 0.786m
xf = (-4 - sqrt(76))/6 = -2.119m
You appear to have solved the equation U(xf) = 0. That is the wrong equation. What equation do you have for U(xf) ?

The is the equation i have:

U(xf) = 3(xf)^2 +4(xf) -5 , do i have to set it equal to the initial potential energy which was 2 ? or do i have to somehow include the kinetic energy in the equatin also?

You have to set it equal to the initial energy. The initial energy comes both from potential and kinetic energy.

Thank you so much! it finally worked :)

is the answer ( 5/3 m ) = 1.7 approximately ?

MissBisson said:
Thank you so much! it finally worked :)
So, do you now understand that to solve it you needed to apply conservation of work, initial (PE+KE) = final (PE+KE)?

Yes i do thank you very much :)

omar moured said:
is the answer ( 5/3 m ) = 1.7 approximately ?

Yes it was 1.67m

1. How is the distance traveled by a particle related to potential energy function?

The distance traveled by a particle is directly related to the potential energy function. The potential energy function represents the amount of stored energy that a particle possesses based on its position in a given system. As the particle moves, the potential energy changes and this change in energy is directly related to the distance traveled by the particle.

2. Can potential energy function be used to calculate the distance traveled by a particle?

Yes, the potential energy function can be used to calculate the distance traveled by a particle. This is because the potential energy function is dependent on the position of the particle, and as the particle moves, the potential energy changes. By calculating the change in potential energy, the distance traveled by the particle can be determined.

3. Is the distance traveled by a particle using potential energy function affected by external factors?

Yes, the distance traveled by a particle using potential energy function can be affected by external factors. These factors can include friction, air resistance, and other external forces that may act upon the particle as it moves. These external factors can change the amount of potential energy and therefore affect the distance traveled by the particle.

4. Can potential energy function be used to determine the maximum distance traveled by a particle?

Yes, the potential energy function can be used to determine the maximum distance traveled by a particle. The maximum distance can be found by determining the point where the potential energy function reaches its maximum value. This point represents the position where the particle has the most potential energy and therefore can travel the furthest distance.

5. How does the shape of the potential energy function affect the distance traveled by a particle?

The shape of the potential energy function can greatly affect the distance traveled by a particle. A steeper potential energy function indicates a greater change in potential energy for a given distance, resulting in the particle traveling a greater distance. On the other hand, a flatter potential energy function will result in a smaller change in potential energy and therefore a shorter distance traveled by the particle.