Potential energy vs total energy in hydrogen atom diagrams

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
etotheipi
I've seen this figure kicking around, and just wanted to check that I'm not going mad. ##r_{0}## is supposed to be the Bohr radius of the first electron.

1583783363572.png

I don't think this is quite right, since at ##r_{0}## the potential energy is about ##-27eV## or something, so I think they've actually drawn the curve of ##E##. I would instead draw something like this (where T has been added for clarity):

1583783459393.png


with the original red line ##E=\frac{U}{2} = -T##. Is this a justified correction? I'm just asking because there are a lot of images on google which seem to conflate ##E## and ##U## on diagrams, and it's causing me to doubt myself a little... thank you!

Also, as a sort of follow up question, some authors when considering e.g. a particle in a box choose to draw the wavefunction at the level of the energy level. Is this a purely pedagogical choice, since evidently all of the information pertaining to the energy is already encoded in the wavelength?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, that is indeed a lot better. I calculated about ##50\text{pm}## for the Bohr radius and that does indeed correspond to about ##-27\text{eV}## on that diagram.