Potential/Kinetic/Total Energy of hydrogen atom absorbing photon

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
louza8
Messages
58
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A hydrogen atom in the n = 2 state absorbs a photon with wavelength 380 nm.


Q1. Find the change in the atom’s total energy.
Q2. Find the change in the atom’s potential energy
Q3. Find the change in the orbiting electron’s kinetic energy.

Homework Equations



E=E0/n2


The Attempt at a Solution



Q1 I solved correctly so I know total E = 5.23×10−19 J
Q2 I know U = E - K, but I don't know the formulas for K or for U so I'm stuck here for Q2 and Q3.

Direction please? Also, I'm having difficulty in understanding why the kinetic energy of the electron decreases as you move away from the nucleus, and why the potential energy increases. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why the kinetic energy of the electron decreases:
KE = 1/2 mv^2
a = v^2/r, so v = (ar)^1/2, so:
KE = 1/2 mar, where a is given by:
F = ma = KQq/r^2 so a = KQq/(mr^2) so:
KE = 1/2 Kqq/r

Why the potential energy increases:
At r = infinity, the proton and electron would feel no attraction. Bump them a little closer than infinity, and they feel the Coulomb force, which means they experience an acceleration. If they accelerate, their kinetic energy increases. To conserve energy, we conclude that since kinetic energy increases, potential energy decreases as the distance decreases.

I'm not sure if your text covers it, but if it does, try the Virial Theorem.