1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of thin ring of charge

1. May 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin disc, radius 3 cm, has a circular hole of radius 1 cm in the middle. There is a surface charge of -4 esu/##cm^2## on the disc.

a) what is the potential at the centre of the hole ?

b) An electron starting from rest at centre of the hole moves out along the axis. What is the ultimate velocity it gains ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For (a) :
    path4206.png
    ##R = \sqrt{y^2 + s^2}## and ## dq = 2\pi s\sigma ds##

I did not drew ##\theta## but it is the angle between radius vector ##r## and ##y## axis.

Then,
    ##\displaystyle \phi(0,y,0) = \int^3_1 {dq \over R} = \int^3_1 {2\pi \sigma s ds \over \sqrt{y^2 + s^2}} =2\pi \sigma (\sqrt{y^2 + 9} - \sqrt{y^2 + 1})##

For centre, ##\phi = 2\pi\sigma##

For (b):-

Since ##\cos \theta = \dfrac{y}{\sqrt{y^2 + s^2}}##

##\displaystyle E = \int^3_1 {dq \over R^2} \cos \theta = \int^3_1 {2\pi \sigma s y \over (y^2 + s^2)^{3/2}} ds =\sigma\left( \frac1{\sqrt{y^2 + 1}} - \frac1{\sqrt{y^2 + 9}}\right)##

##eE = ma = m y^{\prime\prime} = m v\dfrac{dv}{ dy}##

##\displaystyle {e\sigma \over m} \int_0^{\infty} \frac1{\sqrt{y^2 + 1}} - \frac1{\sqrt{y^2 + 9}} dy = \frac{v^2}{2}##

Hence ##v = \sqrt{\dfrac{2e \sigma \ln 3}{m}}##

Is this correct ? I think the second answer is not correct as I get ##2.16 \times 10^{7} m/s## as the answer, which is very huge.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You dropped a factor of 2, it seems, but it otherwise looks right.

I'm not sure what this means. What ##\phi## supposed to represent?

You seem to be making this part unnecessarily complicated. Use conservation of energy. What's the potential energy of a charge at the center in terms of the electric potential at the center?

4. May 11, 2017 #3
    ##\displaystyle \int {s\over \sqrt(y^2 + s^2)} = \sqrt{s^2 + y^2}## ?

I am sorry, this was vague.

##\phi(0,y,0)## is electrostatic potential which is ##2\pi \sigma (\sqrt{y^2 + 9} - \sqrt{y^2 + 1})##.

The question to find the potential at the centre of the disc which is at ##y =0##

So, ##\phi(0,0,0) = 2\pi \sigma (3 - 1) = 4 \pi\sigma##

Let me get first part correct because I can use that to find energy.

5. May 11, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry, you were right. I messed up the factor of 2.

6. May 11, 2017 #5
    Is everything else correct ?

7. May 12, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think there are some errors in the field calculations.
    (It would be easier to follow if you had left the radii as variables instead of plugging in the values 1 and 3. That would have allowed the use of dimensional analysis to sanity-check the equations.)
    E should be obtainable by differentiating φ wrt y. If I do that there seems to be a missing factor 2πy.
    I certainly don't think you should be getting ln() terms in there when they do not turn up using the energy approach.

As for the magnitude of the answer, I think you are in the right ballpark, but maybe that means you need to use relativistic equations.

8. May 12, 2017 #7
    Yes you are correct.

Then ##\displaystyle E = {2\pi y \sigma}\left({1\over \sqrt{1+y^2}} - {1\over \sqrt{9 + y^2}} \right)##

and
    is
    ##\displaystyle {e\sigma \over m} \int_0^{\infty} {2\pi y }\left({1\over \sqrt{1+y^2}} - {1\over \sqrt{9 + y^2}}\right) dy = \frac{v^2}{2}##

I got the improper integral as ##2##,

So ##\displaystyle v = \sqrt{8\pi e \sigma \over m}## which is ##7.38 \times 10^7 m/s##

9. May 12, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's what I got by considering energy. But that is a quarter light speed, no? Doesn't that mean you need to use the relativistic formula for KE?

10. May 12, 2017 #9
    Yes I guess you are correct but I don't know special relativity ;).

11. May 12, 2017 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

12. May 12, 2017 #11
  13. May 12, 2017 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get ##\frac{v^2}{c^2}=1-\left(\frac{mc^2}{E+mc^2}\right)^2##.
    If v' is the velocity you calculated by Newtonian principles, E=mv'2/2.
    But looks like it's not quite fast enough to worry about. If e.g. v' is c/4 then v≈ 0.238c

Last edited: May 12, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted