Powdered Graphite in engine oil

In summary, I think this could work as a lubricant, but it would have some very negative consequences.
samblohm
From a chemical point of view, what are some of your thoughts about powdered graphite in engine oil? I think it would work very well because it would suspend particles between the graphene sheets.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea.

But I can tell you that nobody will be able to comment without a context. What do you want to use it for? What properties do you need/expect?

For example - it will make a lousy hand wash, your hands will be not only greasy, but also black. So if that's your plan, you are on the wrong track.

It should suspend oil between the graphene sheets and make a very good lubricant for engines. It should also be able to resist the high temperatures that engines create. And I think that random "nuisance" particles that are too small to get filtered by an oil filter should be suspended between the sheets and rendered harmless. I'm looking for some thoughts that chemists may have on this idea.

I also understand that graphite can cause pitting in metals. I think that the oil would create an insulating barrier that wouldn't allow corrosion to happen between the metal and powdered graphite

Likes Hubert81169
You're basically suggesting that sooty oil would work better than clean oil - which is pretty much contrary to everyday experience.

What I'm thinking is that the graphite will help lubricate and should suspend even more particles than just oil alone. Therefore it won't have the negative effects of soot.

The machinist in our department at uni told me that when graphite mixes with lubricating oils in a transmission (such as a large mill) it forms a lapping compound and eventually will wear off the finish on the gears. I have no "official" source to back this up with though.

samblohm said:
What I'm thinking is that the graphite will help lubricate and should suspend even more particles than just oil alone. Therefore it won't have the negative effects of soot.

I remember somewhere in my past seeing graphite in a motor oil (will try to remember where and when), I think the biggest problem will be keeping it in suspension and not settling and forming a blockage in small openings or flow lines.

Ron

samblohm said:

You're thinking is misguided. Oil does not penetrate between the graphene sheets of crystalline graphite.
Besides which, why would this make it a better lubricant? Even if this was possible you would be increasing the adhesion of the sheets through London interactions.

So is the reason that air and random dirt particles can penetrate the graphite sheets because the are polar?

What is powdered graphite?

Powdered graphite is a form of graphite, a naturally occurring mineral, that has been ground into a fine powder. It is commonly used as a lubricant due to its dry and slippery texture.

Why would someone add powdered graphite to engine oil?

Adding powdered graphite to engine oil can help reduce friction and wear on engine components, leading to smoother operation and potentially longer engine life. It can also aid in reducing noise and vibrations in the engine.

How is powdered graphite added to engine oil?

Powdered graphite can be added to engine oil by mixing it with the oil before adding it to the engine, or by pouring it directly into the engine oil fill port. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not add too much powdered graphite, as it can lead to clogging or other issues.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using powdered graphite in engine oil?

While powdered graphite can provide some benefits to engine performance, there are also potential drawbacks. It can settle at the bottom of the oil pan, potentially clogging the oil pump or other components. It can also cause the oil to become thicker, reducing its ability to properly lubricate the engine.

Is powdered graphite safe to use in all types of engines?

Powdered graphite is generally safe to use in most types of engines, but it is important to consult the manufacturer's recommendations before adding it to your specific engine. It may not be suitable for use in certain types of engines, such as those with catalytic converters or turbochargers.