Power and Energy of a motor problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
majormuss
Messages
124
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



What is the average power developed by a motor
as it lifts a 400.-kilogram mass at constant speed
through a vertical distance of 10.0 meters in
8.0 seconds?
(1) 320 W (3) 4,900 W
(2) 500 W (4) 32,000 W

Homework Equations



P=Wd/t= Fd/t= mad/t

The Attempt at a Solution


How does the fact that acceleration is 0 change the way I should approach this question. The question says acceleration is constant.
On the other hand I tried using this formula... P=Fv... but because I don't know acceleration, I can't find 'F'.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct equation for power is: P=W/t

What is work? (W=Fd)
What is force? (F = ma)

In this problem, there are 2 accelerations to consider: (1) The problem says the speed is constant so the acceleration of the mass as it travels through space is 0. (2) assuming that this motor is operating near the surface of the Earth, the acceleration due to Earth's gravity is acting on the mass.
 
majormuss said:

Homework Statement



What is the average power developed by a motor
as it lifts a 400.-kilogram mass at constant speed
through a vertical distance of 10.0 meters in
8.0 seconds?
(1) 320 W (3) 4,900 W
(2) 500 W (4) 32,000 W

Homework Equations



P=Wd/t= Fd/t= mad/t

The Attempt at a Solution


How does the fact that acceleration is 0 change the way I should approach this question. The question says acceleration is constant.
On the other hand I tried using this formula... P=Fv... but because I don't know acceleration, I can't find 'F'.

Fv should work as well as wd/t, because d/t = v. To find the force, draw a force body diagram. What forces are acting on the 400kg object? Remember, force does not equal acceleration. A NET force equals an acceleration.