Power at fundamental frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of power at the fundamental frequency, which is defined as the sum of the squared amplitudes of the sine and cosine terms in a Fourier expansion. The conversation also mentions a formula for the squared error of the fundamental power and the article "Methods for Diagnosis and Treatment of Stimulus-Correlated Motion in Generic Brain Activation Studies Using fMRI" by Bullmore et al. which uses this concept. It is suggested that this power may refer to statistical power or the probability of a false positive occurring.
maurom
Hi all,
reading an article I've encountered the concept of power at the fundamental frequency, google didn't help me. Could you please give to me any hint about this problem? It is at least one week I'm dealing to understand what the "fundamental power" is!
there is a kind of wave, express as:
Y(t)=a1*sin(omega*t)+b1*cos(omega*t)+a2*sin(2*omega*t)+b2*cos(2*omega*t)+a3*sin(3*omega*t)+b3*cos(3*omega*t)
they say that fundamental power is:
a1^2+b1^2
and the square error of the fundamental power is sqrt(2(SE(a1)^4 + SE(b1)^4))

to me it seems quite strange! The power of wave is the work/time, but I guess that the fundamental power it not related to the work/time meaning.
And anyway, how it can be approximated to the squared amplitudes?
also how the square error of fundamental power becomes the dirty thing I wrote above!

thanks a lot,
Mauro

P.S the article is:
Methods for Diagnosis and Treatment. of Stimulus-Correlated Motion in Generic Brain Activation Studies Using fMRI.
www-bmu.psychiatry.cam.ac.uk/sitewide/publications/journal/bullmore99met.pdf
and the formula I'm talking about is at the beginning of page 42.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the article is using a Fourier expansion of a signal with period omega. The first pair of terms is the fundamental, and the others are overtones (integer multiples of the fundamental).

mathman said:
It looks like the article is using a Fourier expansion of a signal with period omega. The first pair of terms is the fundamental, and the others are overtones (integer multiples of the fundamental).

yes, it seems something derived from a Fourier expansion, but actually the sum of sin and cos are there for other reasons. In fact, is to correct for interpolation errors aligning images: that comes from the work of Bullmore et al. cited just above the formula, and the frequency should be the frequency of the time series. By the way, this is not really important to answer my question, I guess!
I can not get the meaning of "power at a certain frequency", it doens't make any sense to me! Or at least, not in a physics way!
I got a guessing answering to you... maybe the power refers to the statistical power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_power) or the probability that a false positive doesn't occur!
may be...

Think of power at a certain frequency (or frequency interval) as the power you would get passing through a filter that only passes the frequency (or frequency interval) of interest.

Claude.

1. What is meant by "power at fundamental frequency"?

"Power at fundamental frequency" refers to the amount of energy or electricity being delivered at the primary, or fundamental, frequency in an electrical system. This is typically the frequency at which the system is designed to operate and is often the most important frequency in terms of power delivery.

2. Why is it important to measure power at fundamental frequency?

Measuring power at fundamental frequency is important because it allows us to understand the overall energy consumption and efficiency of an electrical system. It also helps us identify any issues or imbalances in the system that may be affecting power delivery.

3. How is power at fundamental frequency calculated?

Power at fundamental frequency is calculated by multiplying the voltage at the fundamental frequency by the current at the same frequency. This is known as the real power or active power, and it is typically measured in watts.

4. Can power at fundamental frequency fluctuate?

Yes, power at fundamental frequency can fluctuate due to changes in electrical load or other factors in the system. However, the goal is to maintain a consistent and stable power delivery at the fundamental frequency in order to ensure the proper functioning of the system.

5. How can power at fundamental frequency be improved?

To improve power at fundamental frequency, it is important to ensure that all components in the electrical system are functioning properly and that there are no imbalances or issues causing fluctuations. This may involve adjusting load levels, replacing faulty components, or implementing power factor correction measures.