Power Law Equation Help: Solving for v with x=0.02 | Homework Equations

In summary: But since you already know the value of x, you can simply plug it into the equation and evaluate for v.
Adam_9333

Homework Statement

need to solve for v? I also know the value of x=0.02

Homework Equations

v(x)= 47.8 ⋅ (0.451/x)^(5.39)

The Attempt at a Solution

how do I take the log of both sides, is that the right approach to solve for v?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the product rule then the power rule.

Likes Adam_9333
But, if you already know x, you don't have anything to solve. Just put .02 in for x and evaluate.

I am little confused, my calculus skills stayed in first year. Do put 0.02 in the x term on the left side of the equation also, and just solve for V?

Adam_9333 said:
I am little confused, my calculus skills stayed in first year. Do put 0.02 in the x term on the left side of the equation also, and just solve for V?
You didn't state the problem accurately, but if it's asking you to determine v(0.02), then all you have to do is to replace the x on the right by 0.02 and perform the computations. To "solve for v" would be to find an equivalent equation with v alone on one side, but the equation is already of that form, so what you need to do to solve for v is nothing at all.

Adam_9333 said:
how do I take the log of both sides, is that the right approach to solve for v?
That would be a good approach if you wanted to solve for x.

Related to Power Law Equation Help: Solving for v with x=0.02 | Homework Equations

1. What is the power law equation?

The power law equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the relationship between two variables, where one variable is proportional to the other raised to a certain power. It can be written as y = kx^n, where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, k is a constant, and n is the power.

2. How is the power law equation used in science?

The power law equation is commonly used in science to describe various phenomena, such as the relationship between the size of a population and its growth rate, the relationship between the frequency and magnitude of earthquakes, and the relationship between the velocity and viscosity of fluids. It is also used in various fields of study, including physics, biology, economics, and social sciences.

3. What is the significance of the power law exponent (n) in the equation?

The power law exponent (n) is a crucial parameter in the power law equation as it determines the shape of the relationship between the two variables. A larger value of n indicates a steeper curve, while a smaller value of n indicates a more gradual curve. This exponent also provides insight into the underlying mechanism or process that governs the relationship between the variables.

4. How is the power law equation different from other mathematical models?

The power law equation is different from other mathematical models, such as linear or exponential equations, as it allows for a non-linear relationship between the variables. This means that as one variable increases or decreases, the other variable may not change at a constant rate. Additionally, the power law equation is able to describe a wide range of data, including both large and small values, making it a versatile tool in scientific research.

5. Can the power law equation be applied to all types of data?

The power law equation can be used to model a variety of data, but it is important to note that it may not always be the most appropriate model. In some cases, other equations, such as the exponential or logarithmic equation, may better fit the data. It is important for scientists to carefully analyze their data and determine the most suitable model for their specific research question.