Power of a Transverse wave question

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving finding the velocity of a wave using equations and formulas. The participants discuss the difference between propagation velocity and maximum velocity of the wave, as well as the transverse velocity of the string. They also clarify the terminology and equations used to solve the problem.
ultrapowerpie

Homework Statement

Problem: http://img355.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a3physicsfa1.png

Homework Equations

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/Waves/powstr.html

The Attempt at a Solution

Yeah, can someone help me exactly to find the velocity I need in order to plug it into the equation? I tried figuring out with the velocity using wavelength and all, but that didn't work. I think I need to sue that forumula, but without knowing T, I'm stumped right now.

Also, what exactly is the difference between the maximum speed of this wave, and the speed calculated from, let's say

V = sqrt (T/(M/L)) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please, need some help with this. >.>

You can get the propagation velocity from wavelength and frequency. Can you show how you tried that, or just where you were stumped in your attempt?

ultrapowerpie said:
Yeah, can someone help me exactly to find the velocity I need in order to plug it into the equation? I tried figuring out with the velocity using wavelength and all, but that didn't work.
The speed of the wave pulse is contained in the [tex]\sin (kx - \omega t)[/tex] factor. How do k and ω relate to wavelength and frequency?

Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/waves/wavsol.html#c4"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, what exactly is this "propogation velocity". I've never heard of this term before, and I find it very... odd. Is it like initial velocity, average velocity, etc.

I know that k= 2pi/(wavelength)

I also know that f =w/2pi

I also know that v = (wavelength)*(frequency)

My question is, is that v the "propogation" velocity (the one in the above equation), whatever that means. Cause I believe I attempted finding the v that way, and got the answer wrong. This may have been just a math error on my part, but I wanted to double check.

I was also curious if that equation is actually need for this problem, or if it's just extraneous information.

Also, what's the difference between this "propogation velocity" and the maximum velocity of the wave?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:
It sounds like you just had a math error somewhere, because

v = λ f

is the correct formula to use. If you say what you got for λ, f, and v, then we could tell you if that's right or wrong.

what's the difference between this "propogation velocity" and the maximum velocity of the wave?

Propagation velocity is the velocity at which the wave or pattern moves along the string. Check out the lower figure here:

http://www.isvr.soton.ac.uk/spcg/Tutorial/Tutorial/Tutorial_files/essaiwave.gif

The wave pattern just moves along, or propagates, to the right at the propagation velocity.

I'm not sure what "maximum velocity of the wave" refers to, since in this example the wave moves at a constant velocity. It might really mean the maximum velocity of a point on the string, i.e. the max velocity of the red dot in the above image. But that's just a guess on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll re-try the formula... Thanks, I probably did just make a mistake. I was just confused why they gave us a forumula.

There is a reason I'm asking about "Maximum" Velocity being different from this propogation velocity, it's another problem...

http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=a4physicscn3.png

Now, problem 12, I figured out no problem.

But 13 asks for the "maximum transverse velocity", which is NOT the same as the answer to problem 12. This is why I brought this up, as I was now confused what this maximum transverse velocity is. Is that a fancy way of saying the angular frequency here, or is it some other value?

Thanks for clearing that up with the propogation velocity though. :D

Ah, okay. The transverse velocity is the velocity of the string itself, for example the red dot in the figures of post #6. "Transverse" means at a right angle to the wave propagation direction; note that the red dot moves up-and-down, at a right angle to the right-going wave propagation direction.

Ok, so, the difference here is:

The "propogation velocity" is the speed of the wave going in the x direction

and the "Transverse Wave Velocity" is the speed of the string going up and down (Y direction)

That right? Just wanted to make sure, in case I need to explain it to some class mates.

So, how do I find this transverse wave velocity with the info given? My book doesn't differentiate between the tranverse velocity and the propogation velocity (everything is just v >.>)

ultrapowerpie said:
Ok, so, the difference here is:

The "propogation velocity" is the speed of the wave going in the x direction
OK.

and the "Transverse Wave Velocity" is the speed of the string going up and down (Y direction)
Careful with terminology. The question asks for "the maximum transverse speed of the particles in the string", which is what you describe. Don't call it the "transverse wave velocity"--that's confusing. (If someone asked me for the "transverse wave velocity", I'd assume that they meant to ask for the velocity of the transverse wave, which is just v.)

So, how do I find this transverse wave velocity with the info given? My book doesn't differentiate between the tranverse velocity and the propogation velocity (everything is just v >.>)
Start with the wave form, which is something like: y = A sin(kx - ωt). That's the y (transverse) coordinate as a function of time and position. Hint: The transverse speed is dy/dt.

See, that's the thing. My book uses cos as the initial, but other websites use sin. There is a different between teh two functions, despite my professor's claim that they can be both used. I don't believe they can be used interchangably, but that's just me.

Thank you for correcting my terminology. I figured a derivative was needed, but when I tried it earlier, I got a number much lower then the normal velocity. Now that I know they're different things, I can retry the problem and hopefully get the right result, I'll post here with the fruits of my efforts.

Thank you again. :D

ultrapowerpie said:
See, that's the thing. My book uses cos as the initial, but other websites use sin. There is a different between teh two functions, despite my professor's claim that they can be both used. I don't believe they can be used interchangably, but that's just me.
Your professor is correct; either sine or cosine can be used. Sure they are different functions, but only by a phase factor. (Try it and see!)

Yep, that's right. Just wanted to join in - too late as usual !

Ok, I'm having a problem with 11 (the one in my first post).

I calculated my V = 665.62

I'm certain this value is right.

However, there's a problem. The answer I get by plugging in the data, is .014. This answer is wrong.

I have a stong suspicion that the amplitude for this equation is NOT A0, but another number. As the w is given, and so is the density, the only thing that looks odd is the amplitude.

So, here's the question: They gave me an x value. Obviously, I need to use it somehow. Is the amplitude A0*e^(-bx)? Cause I tried using that for the amplitude, and got the problem wrong.

Scratch the question for 13 I asked earlier in this post, I just realized there was a much simpler formula-

Vmax= w*A

And that is right. Just need to work on problem 11

Last edited:
ultrapowerpie said:
Ok, I'm having a problem with 11 (the one in my first post).

I calculated my V = 665.62

I'm certain this value is right.
How did you calculate this value?

I took the K value, and did 2pi/k = 14.61

Then, I did f = w/2pi = 4.615...

Whoops, I just made a mistake in my math apparently, hold on...

Is the velocity 67.44? And what about my amplitude theory I made before?

ultrapowerpie said:
Is the velocity 67.44?
That sounds better.
And what about my amplitude theory I made before?
I agree with what you said earlier:

ultrapowerpie said:
Is the amplitude A0*e^(-bx)?
That's what I would use. The formula you're plugging into is for a sinusoidal wave; your pulse can be considered a sine wave modulated by that amplitude.

Thank you, I will try that, give me a bit...

Got it right, thanks! :D

1. What is the definition of power for a transverse wave?

The power of a transverse wave is defined as the rate at which energy is transferred through the wave. It is measured in units of watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the amplitude squared by the frequency of the wave.

2. How does the amplitude of a transverse wave affect its power?

The amplitude of a transverse wave directly affects its power. The higher the amplitude, the more energy is transferred through the wave. This means that a wave with a larger amplitude will have a greater power than a wave with a smaller amplitude, assuming all other factors are equal.

3. Can the frequency of a transverse wave affect its power?

Yes, the frequency of a transverse wave can also affect its power. The higher the frequency of the wave, the more cycles it completes in a given amount of time. This means that a wave with a higher frequency will transfer more energy per unit time, resulting in a greater power.

4. How is the power of a transverse wave related to its wavelength?

The power of a transverse wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength of a wave increases, the power decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is due to the fact that longer wavelengths have lower frequencies, resulting in less energy being transferred per unit time.

5. Can the medium through which a transverse wave travels affect its power?

Yes, the medium through which a transverse wave travels can affect its power. The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, can impact the speed at which the wave travels. This, in turn, can affect the power of the wave as it may transfer energy at a faster or slower rate depending on the medium.