Power series differential equation

In summary, the author is solving the initial value problem y'' = y' + y by deriving the Fibonacci power series. They have found that x^(n+1) is the same series as x^(n-2) for y'' and that the left side equation has (n+1)! in the denominator. They also have a question about the Fibonacci series.
Zem
This is an initial value problem.
y''=y'+y, y(0)=0 and y(1)=1
I am solving it by deriving the Fibonnacci power series.

The sum of F_n from n=0 to infinity is 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13 of Fibonnacci numbers defined by F_o = 0, F_1 =1. F_n = F_n-2 + F_n-1 for n>1.

Here is what I have attempted so far.
[tex]y=\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{F_{n}}{n!}x^n[/tex]
[tex]y'=\sum_{n=2}^\infty\\n\frac{F_{n}}{n(n-1)!}x^{n-1}[/tex]
[tex]y''=\sum_{n=3}^\infty\\n(n-1)\frac{F_{n}}{n(n-2)(n-1)!}x^{n-2}[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty\\(n+3)(n+2)\frac{F_{n+3}}{(n+3)(n+2)!}x^{n+1}[/tex][tex]=\sum_{n=2}^\infty\\n\frac{F_{n}}{n(n-1)!}x^{n-1}[/tex][tex]+\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{F_{n}}{n!}x^n[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty\\(n+3)(n+2)\frac{F_{n+3}}{(n+3)(n+2)!}x^{n+1}[/tex][tex]=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\\(n+2)(n+1)\frac{F_{n}}{(n+2)!}x^{n+1}[/tex][tex]+\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{F_{n}}{(n+1)!}x^{n+1}}[/tex]

Is this correct so far? I am not sure how to derive the factorials in the denominators. If this is right, is my next step to solve for F_n+3 by dividing both sides by (n+3)(n+2), multiplying by (n+3)(n+2)!, and dividing by x^n+1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what you are assuming. You talk about the Fn being Fibonnacci numbers but then treat the Fn as unknowns. Oh, I see, you want to show that those coefficients are Fibonnacci numbers.
I also do not understand why you want to get xn+1 as the power rather than just n or why you have switched the index from starting at 1 to starting at 0 (Since y(0)= 0 the x0 coefficient is clearly 0).
Assuming you have reason for doing those things, and by "Fibonnacci series" you just mean the Fns are recursively defined, you have have done is mostly correct. There area a few minor typos- especially there should not be a factor (n+2) in the second sum of the last equation and you didn't change the "n" on Fn when you made the last index changes. Then you can cancel terms in the first two sums:
Since (n+2)!= (n+2)(n+1)!, in the first sum
[tex](n+3)(n+2)\frac{F_{n+3}{(n+3)(n+2)!= \frac{(n+3)(n+2)}{(n+3)(n+2)}\frac{F_}n+3}{(n+1)!}[/tex]
(what I typed is not showing up here- click on it to see the correct code.)
and in the second
[tex](n+1)\frac{F_{n+2}}{(n+2)!}= \frac{F_{n+2}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]
so
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty\\ \frac{F_{n+3}}{(n+1)!}x^{n+1}= \sum_{n=0}^\infty\\ \frac{F_{n+2}}{n!}x^{n+1}+ \sum_{n=0}^\infty\\F_{n+1} x^{n+1}[/tex]
and all of the factorials, as well as xn+1, cancel.

Last edited by a moderator:
1,000 apologies. It is nice to see how the Fibonacci series would be done. But I understand now that I can use the power series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty\\C_{n}x^{n}[/tex]
because a theorem in the chapter states that it is the same series as the Fibonacci series because they represent the same function. I think this means any equation with derivated functions such as y'' = y' + y can be represented by the above power series. So I can use that simpler series, instead of the one the book provided in the problem. So I don't yet understand why the problem includes the Fib series. Here is how the problem reads.

For the initial value problem y'' = y' + y, y(0)=0, y(1)=1 derive the power series solution
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{F_n}{n!}x^{n}[/tex]
where [F_n] from n=0 to infinity is the sequence 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,... of Fibonacci numbers defined by F_o = ), F_1 = 1, F_n = F_n-2 + F_n-1 for n>1.

In answer to your questions.. I set the index for y at n=1 because that is where the Fib series starts. I thought x^(n+1) would be the correct power because it derives to x^(n-2) for y''. And the index is n=3 for y'', so to change it to n=0, I added 3 to the power of x to make it x^(n+1). It worked out to x^(n+1) for the x's on the right side, too.

I will work on the C_n power series, but also have a question about the Fibonacci one. The left side equation has (n+1)! in the denominator. Is that because it derives to (n-2)!, then add 3 to make it (n+1)! ? Does something similar happen in the denominators on the right side?

Thank you.

Last edited:

1. What is a power series differential equation?

A power series differential equation is a type of ordinary differential equation where the solution can be expressed as a power series. This means that the solution is a polynomial with infinitely many terms, each with a different power of the independent variable.

2. How is a power series differential equation solved?

A power series differential equation can be solved by substituting the power series into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients of each term. This is typically done through a process called "term-by-term differentiation" and involves finding a recurrence relation between the coefficients.

3. What is the importance of power series differential equations in mathematics?

Power series differential equations are important in mathematics because they provide a way to approximate solutions to complicated differential equations. They are also used in many areas of physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and solve real-world problems.

4. Are all power series differential equations solvable?

No, not all power series differential equations are solvable. Some equations may not have a power series solution, or the solution may not converge for all values of the independent variable. In these cases, other methods may need to be used to find a solution.

5. Can a power series differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a power series differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the coefficients of the power series can be chosen in different ways, leading to different solutions. However, there is typically a unique solution that satisfies certain initial conditions, known as the "particular solution".