Power Series of Integral xarctan(3x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
EstimatedEyes
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Evaluate the integral of xarctan(3x) from 0 to 0.1 by expressing the integral in terms of a power series.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I differentiated xarctan(3x) until I got two functions that I could turn into power series (arctan(3x) and x(1/(1+9x^2)).

After I found the power series of these two functions I integrated them as many times as was necessary to arrive back at the integral of the original function and got (both as sums from one to infinity):
[(-1)^(n-1)*9^(n-1)*x^(2n+1)]/[(2n+1)(2n)(2n-1)] + [(-1)^(n-1)*9^(n-1)*x^(2n)]/[(2n)(2n-1)]

When I evaluated it from 0 to 0.1, I ended up with 0.0050927 which is not the correct answer, but I don't see where I would have done it wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A faster way to find the power series would be knowing [tex]\arctan{u}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\frac{u^{2n+1}}{2n+1}[/tex] convergent for [tex]|x|\leq{1}[/tex]. [tex]x\arctan{3x}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\frac{3^{2n+1}}{2n+1}x^{2(n+1)}[/tex]. I haven't checked your work but maybe you made a mistake while differentiating.

On a separate note, [tex]\int \frac{x}{1+9x^{2}}\,dx=\frac{1}{18}\ln{|1+9x^{2}|}+C[/tex], not the arctan you were looking for.