1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series of Integral xarctan(3x)

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the integral of xarctan(3x) from 0 to 0.1 by expressing the integral in terms of a power series.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I differentiated xarctan(3x) until I got two functions that I could turn into power series (arctan(3x) and x(1/(1+9x^2)).

After I found the power series of these two functions I integrated them as many times as was necessary to arrive back at the integral of the original function and got (both as sums from one to infinity):
    [(-1)^(n-1)*9^(n-1)*x^(2n+1)]/[(2n+1)(2n)(2n-1)] + [(-1)^(n-1)*9^(n-1)*x^(2n)]/[(2n)(2n-1)]

When I evaluated it from 0 to 0.1, I ended up with 0.0050927 which is not the correct answer, but I don't see where I would have done it wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

zcd

A faster way to find the power series would be knowing [tex]\arctan{u}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\frac{u^{2n+1}}{2n+1}[/tex] convergent for [tex]|x|\leq{1}[/tex]. [tex]x\arctan{3x}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\frac{3^{2n+1}}{2n+1}x^{2(n+1)}[/tex]. I haven't checked your work but maybe you made a mistake while differentiating.

On a separate note, [tex]\int \frac{x}{1+9x^{2}}\,dx=\frac{1}{18}\ln{|1+9x^{2}|}+C[/tex], not the arctan you were looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook