1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series representation of a function

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a power series representation for f(x) using termwise integration, where [tex]f(x) = \int_{0}^{x} sin(t^3) dt [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've never done this before, but apparently, if I have a power series representation for sin(t^3), I can use the fact that [tex]f(x) = \int_{0}^{x} f(t) dt = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_n x^{n+1}}{n+1} [/tex]. Is that right?

So my approach was to use the power series representation of sine, replacing sin x with sin t^3 - this gave me [tex]sin(t^3) \approx \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n (x^3)^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} [/tex]. Now do I just change this to the sum
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n (x^3)^{2n+3}}{(2n+3)! (n+1)} [/tex]? It's not at all clear to me that this is what I'm supposed to do...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think you might confuse yourself by having two different definitions for f.
    [tex]f(x) = \int_{0}^{x} sin(t^3) dt = \int_{0}^{x}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n (t^3)^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} dt[/tex]
    Now you're set up to integrate term-by-term to get an antiderivative, which you can evaluate at x and at 0.

I think you made a mistake with your exponent. (t^3)^(2n+1) = t^(6n + 3). When you integrate that, you get something different from what you show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook