Power Series Representation-Quick question

In summary, if you are trying to determine if a power series representation of a function is correct, you may want to check if f(0) is equal to the value of the power series at x=0. You may also want to check if f'(0) is equal to the derivative of the power series at x=0.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

Is there a way to check if a power series representation of a function is correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If f(x) is the function, you might want to check if f(0) is equal to the value of the power series at x=0. You may also want to check if f'(0) is equal to the derivative of the power series at x=0. You can continue for higher derivatives if you are in doubt. If you check all of the infinite number of derivatives you KNOW you are right.

Ok so if my function is x/(1-x)^2 and my power series is sum from 1 to infinity of nx^n, I can check it using derivatives and values of x, but what do I put in for n?

Ok f(0) = the value of the power series at x=0

The first derivative of the function is (-x^2 + 1)/(1-x)^4 so f'(0)=1
The first derivative of the power series is sum from n=1 to infinity of n^2*x^(n-1) and if I plug in x, I will get zero. What am I not understanding?

Last edited:
bcjochim07 said:
Ok f(0) = the value of the power series at x=0

The first derivative of the function is (-x^2 + 1)/(1-x)^4 so f'(0)=1
The first derivative of the power series is sum from n=1 to infinity of n^2*x^(n-1) and if I plug in x, I will get zero. What am I not understanding?

The power series is x+2x^2+3x^3+... The derivative of that at x=0 is most certainly 1. What went wrong with your reasoning above?

Oh, ooops I wasn't thinking right

I forgot the first x term

However, in general checking that derivatives at a specific point are the same does NOT prove that a power series is equal to a function. That is only true if the function in question is "analytic" at the point which means, by definition, that it is equal to its Taylor Series expansion about the point.

For example, it is easy to show that the function
[tex]f(x)= \begin{array}{c}e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}} x\ne 0 \\ 0 x= 0\end{array}[/tex]
is infinitely differentiable, has all derivatives at 0 equal to 0 and so has Taylor series expansion about 0 [itex]\Sum 0\cdot x^n[/itex] but is not equal to that anywhere except at x= 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
So then is there a way to prove that a power series is equal to a function?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

1. What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a mathematical expression that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. How is a power series representation useful in mathematics?

Power series representations are useful in mathematics because they allow us to approximate functions and perform calculations with them, even if the functions are not easily integrable or differentiable. They also have applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you determine the convergence of a power series?

The convergence of a power series can be determined by using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is taken as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

4. Can any function be represented as a power series?

No, not every function can be represented as a power series. The function must have a continuous derivative on a specific interval and satisfy certain criteria, such as the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem, in order for a power series representation to exist.

5. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a power series?

A Taylor series is a specific type of power series, where the terms in the series are the derivatives of the function evaluated at a certain point. A power series, on the other hand, can be centered at any point and does not necessarily involve derivatives of the function.