1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Differentiation to Find a Power Series Representation for:

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    for
    a.) f(x) =1/ ( (1+x)^2 )
    what is the radius of convergence?

b.) Use part a.) to find a power series for

f(x)=1/ ( (1+x)^3)

c.) Use part b.) to find a power series for
    f(x) =x^2 /( (1+x)^3)

2. Relevant equations
    I want to check my work.
    I used properties of functions defined by power series.

3. The attempt at a solution
    a.)
    ## \dfrac {d} {dx}\left[ \left( -1\right) \left( 1+x\right) ^{-1}\right] =\sum _{n=0}\left( -1\right) \left( -1\right) ^{n}x^{n}##

after differentiating:
    1/ ( (1+x)^2) =SUM[ -n x^(n-1) (-1)^n ]

b.)
    ##\dfrac {d} {dx}\left[ \left( 1+x\right) ^{-2}\right] =\dfrac {d} {dx}\left[ \sum _{n=0}-nx^{n-1}\left( -1\right) ^{n}\right]##

Differentiating:
    2/( (1+x)^3)= SUM [ n(n-1) x^(n-2) (-1)^n ], and multiplying both sides by (1/2) yields the desired fuction.

c.)
    Only multiply both sides by x^2 and the desired function is found.

Is this correct?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2
    For part a, the resulting series after differentiation is correct, assuming your lower bound of summation is n=1. Otherwise, the Taylor series is SUM[(-1)^n (n+1) x^n), and the lower bound is n=0. To find radius of convergence, I would suggest Ratio test.
    In part b, your process is correct, but the series that you use from part a is incorrect (see above). Also, both sides should be multiplied by -1/2.
    In part c, the process is correct. It may be easier to check your work with series using http://wolframalpha.com. Make sure you take note of the bounds of integration, since having the wrong ones changes your sum.

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    Why do we need to change the indexing? Does it have to do with :
    f(x)=a0+a1(x-c)+ a2(x-c)^2 + a3(x-c)^3+...=SUM{n=0 to infinity [an (x-c)^n ]}

5. May 14, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The above line should read:

[itex]\displaystyle \dfrac {d} {dx}\left[ \left( -1\right) \left( 1+x\right) ^{-1}\right] =\dfrac {d} {dx}\left[ \ \sum _{n=0}^{\infty}\left( -1\right) \left( -1\right) ^{n}x^{n}\ \right][/itex]​
    Which gives
    [itex]\displaystyle \left( 1+x\right) ^{-2} =\sum _{n=1}^{\infty}-nx^{n-1}\left( -1\right) ^{n}[/itex]​

You didn't answer: "what is the radius of convergence?"

6. May 14, 2012 #5
    You are right.
    ROC=1 , since |-x|<1,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook