Power Spectral Density of a laser

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Power Spectral Density (PSD) and its relationship to Fourier Transform (FT) in the context of a laser error signal. The PSD provides information about the distribution of power in the frequency band and can help determine the dominant type of noise affecting the signal. References and resources for further understanding of PSDs and lasers are also mentioned.
Niles
Hi

I am confused about the concept of Power Spectral Density (PSD) of a laser. Say I hook up my laser error signal to a PSD: Is it correct to say that the PSD basically gives me the Fourier transform of the signal?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a general statement a power spectrum is the Fourier Transform of a signal. I am not familiar with your context.

Niles said:
Hi

I am confused about the concept of Power Spectral Density (PSD) of a laser. Say I hook up my laser error signal to a PSD: Is it correct to say that the PSD basically gives me the Fourier transform of the signal?Niles.

Sort of. The PSD gives you slightly different information than the FT; if you plot the PSD you are showing the (average) distribution of POWER in the frequency band.
So it is slightly different than a FT.

Most spectrum analysers can show both the FFT and the PSD.

In your context the PSD is important for several reasons, not least because it allows you to figure out which type of noise dominates for a certain frequency (=what the controller is having to compensate for); this can be seen by looking at the slope of the PSD.

Last edited:
Not my field but isn't the PSD the FT of the autocorrelation function of the signal?

DrDu said:
Not my field but isn't the PSD the FT of the autocorrelation function of the signal?

Yes, it is.

Indeed

At work I use a book called "Spectral Analysis of Signals" by Stoica as a reference book.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131139568/?tag=pfamazon01-20

However, you don't really need to understand all the theory to use a PSD (unless you need to understand how e.g. different window functions will affect the shape of the spectrum). PSDs are extremely common in some fields, and when people talk about spectrum it is frequently the PSD (and not the FT) they are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help. Generally it seems to me that the litterature on noise in diode lasers, PSDs, drift, etc.. is sparse. If you know of any good references, I would be very interested.

Best wishes,
Niles.

Have a look at Enrico Rubiola's homepage

http://rubiola.org/

His stuff is mainly related to oscillators, but much of the material will be relevant to e.g. stabilized lasers as well.
He once sent me a reference to a book dealing specifically with lasers, I will try to find the reference when I'm back at work next week,

f95toli said:
Have a look at Enrico Rubiola's homepage

http://rubiola.org/

His stuff is mainly related to oscillators, but much of the material will be relevant to e.g. stabilized lasers as well.
He once sent me a reference to a book dealing specifically with lasers, I will try to find the reference when I'm back at work next week,

Thanks, I would be very interested in that.

Best wishes,
Niles.

1. What is the Power Spectral Density (PSD) of a laser?

The Power Spectral Density of a laser is a measure of the power of the laser's electromagnetic radiation as a function of frequency. It describes the distribution of power in the laser's output spectrum.

2. How is the PSD of a laser measured?

The PSD of a laser can be measured using a photodetector and a spectrometer. The photodetector converts the laser's light into an electrical signal, which can then be analyzed by the spectrometer to determine the power at different frequencies.

3. What factors affect the PSD of a laser?

The PSD of a laser can be affected by a variety of factors, including the laser's gain medium, the quality of the laser cavity, and the presence of any external noise sources. Additionally, changes in temperature and operating conditions can also impact the PSD.

4. Why is the PSD of a laser important to study?

The PSD of a laser is an important parameter to study because it provides valuable information about the laser's performance and characteristics. It can also help identify any potential issues or sources of noise in the laser's output, allowing for optimization and improvement of the laser's performance.

5. How can the PSD of a laser be used in practical applications?

The PSD of a laser can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as in telecommunications, laser spectroscopy, and laser-based manufacturing processes. It can also be used in research and development to analyze and improve the performance of lasers for specific applications.