Power-to-weight ratio of electric motors

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of electric motors in terms of power-to-weight ratio and explores potential ways to increase this ratio. The idea of using high-temperature superconductors and finding a lighter magnetic material is suggested. The conversation also touches on the possibility of an "Unobtanium" alloy of iron and the potential for operating iron, cobalt, and nickel around 100 Teslas.
Ryuk1990
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the mechanical engineering board or not but since electrical engineers typically design electric motors, I'll put it here.

From what I hear, all types of electric motors have terrible power-to-weight ratios. So if we were to hypothetically one day have a light-weight battery with the energy density of jet fuel, we wouldn't be able to have an electric 747 because an electric motor with enough power to lift a 747 would be too heavy.

So I was wondering, how would you go about trying to increase the power-to-weight ratio of an electric motor? Are there any institutions doing research on this?

Note: I suppose we wouldn't need batteries to have an energy density as high as that of jet fuel since an electric 747 engine would be a lot more efficient than the combustion version but you get my point.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The other half of an electric motor is its magnetic medium, iron.
It takes a lot of iron to carry a weber of magnetic flux.
We need an "Unobtanium" alloy of iron that doesn't saturate.
Or a lighter magnetic material.
You'll get a 1::1 reduction in iron weight for an increase in its ability to carry flux.

Iron cobalt and nickel are the three ferromagnetic elements and they're adjacent one another in periodic table.
Maybe you'll be the one to find some quirk of nature that'd let engineers operate them around 100 Teslas - now THAT'd be something...

old jim

Likes RobertGC

What is power-to-weight ratio of electric motors?

The power-to-weight ratio of an electric motor is a measure of its power output in relation to its weight. It is often used as an indicator of the motor's performance and efficiency.

Why is power-to-weight ratio important?

The power-to-weight ratio is important because it determines the motor's ability to produce a certain amount of power while minimizing its weight. A higher power-to-weight ratio means the motor is more efficient and can produce more power with less weight.

How is power-to-weight ratio calculated?

The power-to-weight ratio is calculated by dividing the motor's power output (in watts) by its weight (in kilograms). The resulting number is expressed as watts per kilogram (W/kg).

What factors affect the power-to-weight ratio of electric motors?

The power-to-weight ratio of electric motors can be affected by various factors such as the type of motor, its design, the materials used, and the cooling system. Motors with better designs and lighter materials tend to have higher power-to-weight ratios.

How does the power-to-weight ratio of electric motors compare to other types of motors?

Generally, electric motors have higher power-to-weight ratios compared to other types of motors, such as internal combustion engines. This is because electric motors have fewer moving parts and can operate at higher speeds, resulting in a more efficient use of power.