Power transformed when resistance is zero and infinite

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power using different equations for zero and infinite resistance. It is concluded that for zero resistance, both R and V go to zero, resulting in an undefined "0/0" value and therefore the formula cannot be used. For infinite resistance, the voltage does not necessarily need to be infinite and the current is expected to be zero. It is also noted that the voltage at the resistor cannot exceed the source voltage.
Janiceleong26
1. Homework Statement
image.jpg

image.jpg

Homework Equations

P=IV,
=I2R
=V2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

For zero resistance, I used P=V2/R formula, and sub. R=0 , power would be infinite. But if I sub. Into P=I2R, power will be zero. The correct answer should be zero. But why do we need to use the second relevant equation I typed above?
For infinite resistance, I used P=V2/R and so will result in power tending to zero.
I am confused on when to we use which equations to calculate power

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
For zero resistance, I used P=V2/R formula, and sub. R=0 , power would be infinite.
Both R and V go to zero, so you have "0/0" which is undefined. You cannot use this formula.

mfb said:
Both R and V go to zero, so you have "0/0" which is undefined. You cannot use this formula.
Oh I see.. Thanks

mfb said:
But if resistance is infinite, then shouldn't voltage be infinite too?

mfb said:
No. Why do you expect this?
Because V=IR, V α R, though I feel that it doesn't make sense to have an infinite voltage..

Remember we are talking about the voltage drop across Q.

Janiceleong26 said:
Because V=IR, V α R, though I feel that it doesn't make sense to have an infinite voltage..
V α R is only true at fixed current.
What is the current you expect for infinite resistance?
And, as cross-check, can the voltage at the resistor exceed the source voltage?

mfb said:
V α R is only true at fixed current.
What is the current you expect for infinite resistance?
And, as cross-check, can the voltage at the resistor exceed the source voltage?
Zero current :biggrin:
Oh yeah.. Never thought of that too, thanks!

1. What happens to power when resistance is zero?

When resistance is zero, the power transformed will be at its maximum value. This is because in a zero-resistance circuit, there is no opposition to the flow of current, allowing for the maximum amount of power to be transferred.

2. Can power be transformed when resistance is infinite?

No, when resistance is infinite, the flow of current is completely blocked, and no power can be transformed. This is because there is no path for the electrons to flow and transfer energy.

3. How does the power transformed change as resistance increases?

As resistance increases, the power transformed decreases. This is because as resistance increases, the flow of current decreases, resulting in less energy being transferred.

4. Is there a limit to the amount of power that can be transformed when resistance is zero?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of power that can be transformed when resistance is zero. This limit is determined by the voltage of the circuit. If the voltage is too high, it can cause damage to the circuit or components.

5. What is the relationship between power transformed and resistance?

The relationship between power transformed and resistance is inverse. As resistance increases, power transformed decreases and vice versa. This is because resistance acts as a barrier to the flow of current, affecting the amount of energy that can be transferred.