Power Transmission, Gear, Pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to lift 75 pounds with only 4 pounds of force, including using a block and tackle, an electric winch, a lever, and hydraulics. The topic then shifts to using a Tesla turbine as a gear reducer for an electric bicycle, with the idea of using viscous oil to transfer torque. More details about the application are needed to determine the best method for lifting the weight.
redsox1701
I need to lift 75 pounds when only using 4 pounds of force. Is there a gear set or pulley system that can do that?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Research the block and tackle.

Lots of ways to do that. The question is which means works best for this application. But then you have not told us anything about this application except the input and the output.

The idea to look into block and tackle design is a good one, and the most obvious. But by the time you figure in friction you are probably looking at 20 parts of line or more. That many parts creates other problems that might drive you to a different lifting method. This is the point where more details would be useful.

electric winch with a 3lb button :approve:

Simplest of all, a lever.

Hydraulics!

Hi I am building an electric bicycle and I want to use a high rpm(6-8000 rpm) brushless motor. the gear reducers I've found have not been able to hande more than about 4000rpm. I was wondering if anyone has heard of using a tesla turbine as a sort of reduction/torque convertor. My idea is to make something that looks like a clutch with input and output disks stacked and sandwiched with low tolerance in some sort of viscous oil and use the surface cohesion to transfer torque. In my mind the molecules of oil would roll against each other and create a kind of planetary like reduction. Is that completely ridiculous?

1. What is power transmission?

Power transmission is the process of transferring mechanical energy from one location to another. This can be done through various mechanisms, such as gears and pulleys, which allow for the movement and transfer of energy from a power source to a desired output.

2. How do gears work in power transmission?

Gears are mechanical devices with teeth that interlock and rotate to transmit power and motion. When two gears of different sizes are connected, the smaller gear (pinion) will rotate faster, while the larger gear (gear) will rotate slower. This difference in rotational speed allows for the transfer of power from one gear to another.

3. What are the different types of gears used in power transmission?

There are various types of gears used in power transmission, including spur gears, helical gears, bevel gears, and worm gears. Each type has different properties and is used for specific applications depending on factors such as speed, torque, and direction of rotation.

4. What is the purpose of a pulley in power transmission?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to change the direction of a force or to transmit power. In power transmission, pulleys are often used to transfer power from one shaft to another by wrapping a belt or rope around the pulley and connecting it to the desired output shaft.

5. What are the advantages of using gears and pulleys in power transmission?

Gears and pulleys offer several advantages in power transmission, including efficient transfer of power, speed reduction or increase, and the ability to change the direction of motion. They also have a compact design, low maintenance requirements, and can handle high loads and torque, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.