Powering Your External Hard Drive: Options, Tips, and Recommendations"

• Thread starter Bobmonkey07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volts
In summary, powering your external hard drive can be done through various options such as using a power adapter, USB hub, or a powered USB port on your computer. It is important to check the power requirements of your specific hard drive and use a reliable power source to avoid data loss or damage. Additionally, it is recommended to use a surge protector and disconnect the hard drive properly to avoid potential damage. If you are using a portable hard drive, it is best to have a backup power source in case of emergencies.
Bobmonkey07
I just got a new external hard drive that wants 12 volts at 1.5 amps. it comes with a wall wart, but I'd rather find some other method to power it to keep it more portable friendly. (only need 1 outlet to power the drive and laptop)
I've got several options, but i don't think most of these work easily...
I've got some open USB ports (i know those have a 5 volt output, so i don't think that works)
firewire (looks like 4 pin, which i don't think supplies power)
esata (i don't think that carries power either)
now the ones that i think may get somewhere...
there's an expresscard slot, ethernet, and phone line port.
as another possibility, the power supply for this laptop outputs 19 volts at 6.32 amps.

any help in a way to build something for this, a place to buy one, or to just say it won't work, or it's just a bad idea, that would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Both USB and firewire can supply power but they are made to supply power to low current devices. USB generally can only supply 100mA or so, not sure about firewire... I think it can supply a little more but I don't think it will come close to 1.5A.

Your best bet is a small power strip...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EAY5SQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Sell the external drive and buy another that's powered by the USB.

Just for kicks, I tried to see what it would take in terms of AA batteries and I came up with 27 batteries and 3 diodes to get 1.3 hours of operation. Not very useful.

is this a large drive?
i see those little USB flash thingies are up to 64 gb now , isn't that plenty?

but i am getting old - in my day memory was magnetic and one meg was huge.

phinds said:
Just for kicks, I tried to see what it would take in terms of AA batteries and I came up with 27 batteries and 3 diodes to get 1.3 hours of operation. Not very useful.

eh!? How did you figure that one out!?

Firstly, it won't pull 1.5A all the time, that is the rating for peak loads during operation. You can set your computer to power down the hard drive if unused for 60s, or whatever, if it doesn't do it itself.

Even if it did pull 1.5A continuously, 10 2000mAh rechargeable batteries will last you an hour, poss a little longer (that is 2Ah = 2A for an hour).

Diodes? Why?

...so the answer speaks for itself, as already mentioned: Don't try doing electronics! Just get a USB-self-powered drive!

One option is to use a 12-volt lead-acid gel-cell, which can be bought at most electronics suppliers (not Radio Shack) or places like Battery Works. However, you will have to devise a reliable method to charge that battery as well.
It's bulky, but one of those Jump It units can work, and is a self-contained portable gel-cell battery and charger. The bulky battery cables and clamps may be awkward, but removable. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/205180/product_review_prestone_jump_it_portable.html

Last edited by a moderator:
jim hardy said:
but i am getting old - in my day memory was magnetic and one meg was huge.

That gave me a good chuckle. In my day, memory was little iron donuts and 16 KILObytes was huge. 1 meg did not exist.

phinds said:
That gave me a good chuckle. In my day, memory was little iron donuts and 16 KILObytes was huge. 1 meg did not exist.
Oh yeah, well in MY day we had little 3 inch plastic "floppy" discs that weren't very floppy at all!

Power strip is probably the simplest option, especially compared to the battery suggested above and the necessary charging equipment.

3" floppies! Luxury tech!

"You don't know how lucky you were!"

So... who remembers when 'memory' was a 1" wide strip of blue paper with 7 rows of holes across it.

Huh! And you guys think you had it primitive!

;)

"""So... who remembers when 'memory' was a 1" wide strip of blue paper with 7 rows of holes across it."""

and after a while you learn to read the seven bit ASCII holes in the tape directly as text...;

and you can fix a corrupted binary file with scotch tape and a pocket knife;

ahhh yes, i remember it well - a ASR33 is forever! (wish i'd kept mine)

sounds like you might also remember 12AU7 flip-flop logic ..

:) :) :)

Actually, it was just before my time. I remember my Father coming back from some night classes he was taking, with these rolls of computer tape. I'm from the 'M68000' generation - 'solid state' RAM you could 'DIY' with, and programmes you could store on a cassette tape.

hiiiiiiiiiiii dear , i want build 12vdc voltage regulator supply but i do not deside what rating of transformer diode capactior if input 230v ac and load 20ohms

vead said:
hiiiiiiiiiiii dear , i want build 12vdc voltage regulator supply but i do not deside what rating of transformer diode capactior if input 230v ac and load 20ohms

Hi Vead,

I gave you answers in the other forum :)

And by the way don't hijack other people's threads its rude
Always start your own one :)

Dave

Related to Powering Your External Hard Drive: Options, Tips, and Recommendations"

1. How do I increase voltage to 12 volts?

In order to increase voltage to 12 volts, you can use a step-up transformer or a voltage regulator. These devices can convert a lower voltage to 12 volts by adjusting the electrical current.

2. Can I use multiple batteries to reach 12 volts?

Yes, you can use multiple batteries in series to reach 12 volts. When connected in series, the voltage of each battery is added together. For example, two 6-volt batteries connected in series will provide 12 volts.

3. What if I only have a 9-volt battery?

If you only have a 9-volt battery, you can use a voltage converter or a boost converter to increase the voltage to 12 volts. These devices can step up the voltage using electrical components such as capacitors and inductors.

4. How can I safely convert to 12 volts?

To safely convert to 12 volts, it is important to use the appropriate equipment and follow proper safety precautions. This includes using devices specifically designed for voltage conversion, following instructions carefully, and wearing protective gear when handling electrical components.

5. Can I use a car battery to reach 12 volts?

Yes, a car battery typically has a voltage of 12 volts and can be used to power devices that require this voltage. However, it is important to use caution and proper equipment when working with car batteries to avoid electrical hazards.