Directly power house with alternator

In summary, you would need an AC Inverter to step up the voltage of the alternator to 120Vac needed by a house.
John4890
My plan is to reduce electricity use supplied by the grid by having a waterwheel partially power a house. From my simple research I've learned that hooking an alternator up to the waterwheel would work. Since a house runs on 120V AC and an alternator produces (correct me if I'm wrong) 13.8 - 14.2V AC which is then rectified to 12V DC, what do I need to have to get 120V AC?

Is the power in an alternator rectified within the alternator itself or somewhere else in a car? What kind of current does an alternator by itself produce? I think AC, but I've heard both.

There are so many things that don't make sense to me. Transformer, rectifier, converter, inverter? Footpound, horsepower, watts, amps, volts?? Single phase, three phase? ELI5

What piece of equipment do I need to step up the 12 - 14V AC an alternator produces to 120V AC that a house uses or is it even possible?

I don't want to deal with batteries and converting to DC. That's more than I want to think about.

Engineering news on Phys.org
An inverter will convert 12VDC from the alternator to 120VAC for the house.

YouTube has lots of videos of back yard hydro power projects, some using alternators and some with lots of detail. I recommend that you start by watching a dozen of those.

John4890 said:
My plan is to reduce electricity use supplied by the grid by having a waterwheel partially power a house. From my simple research I've learned that hooking an alternator up to the waterwheel would work. Since a house runs on 120V AC and an alternator produces (correct me if I'm wrong) 13.8 - 14.2V AC which is then rectified to 12V DC, what do I need to have to get 120V AC?

Is the power in an alternator rectified within the alternator itself or somewhere else in a car? What kind of current does an alternator by itself produce? I think AC, but I've heard both.

There are so many things that don't make sense to me. Transformer, rectifier, converter, inverter? Footpound, horsepower, watts, amps, volts?? Single phase, three phase? ELI5

What piece of equipment do I need to step up the 12 - 14V AC an alternator produces to 120V AC that a house uses or is it even possible?

I don't want to deal with batteries and converting to DC. That's more than I want to think about.
Welcome to the PF, John.

What you are wanting to do is pretty dangerous for someone with so little experience with electricity and electronics. What country do you live in? If you are in the US, which state do you live in? Your local electrical utility may (or may not) have a program that helps you learn your options for generating your own electricity and still interfacing with the grid. There are some specialized interface circuits that need to be used between your home's electrical generation circuits and the grid, to keep everybody safe and accurately meter what you are using from the grid and what you are supplying back to the grid.

If you are not connecting to the grid at all, the answer to your question is to use an AC Inverter to turn your 12Vdc power into 120Vac Mains power. But there are lots of subtleties to even such a system...

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and anorlunda

1. What is a direct power house with alternator?

A direct power house with alternator is a system where an alternator is directly connected to a power source, such as an engine or a turbine, to generate electricity without the use of a gearbox or other mechanical components.

2. How does a direct power house with alternator work?

In a direct power house with alternator, the rotation of the power source (e.g. engine or turbine) is transmitted directly to the alternator, causing it to spin and generate electricity. This eliminates the need for a gearbox, which can often be a source of energy loss.

3. What are the advantages of using a direct power house with alternator?

One of the main advantages of using a direct power house with alternator is the increased efficiency and reliability. Since there are fewer mechanical components involved, there is less energy loss and potential points of failure. This can result in cost savings and improved performance.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a direct power house with alternator?

One potential disadvantage of a direct power house with alternator is the lack of flexibility. Since the alternator is directly connected to the power source, it may not be able to adjust its speed to meet changing energy demands. This can be mitigated by using multiple alternators or other forms of energy storage.

5. What are some common applications of a direct power house with alternator?

A direct power house with alternator is commonly used in small-scale renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines or hydroelectric generators. It is also used in some industrial settings, such as remote mining operations, where reliability and efficiency are crucial.