1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poynting's theorem in a solenoid

1. Apr 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a cylindrical solenoid(of radius a,and lenght h>>a,having n turns of wire for unity of lenght),The solenoid is connected to a resistance R and,at instant t=0 a current i(0)=i0 is flowing in the wire.Prove that poynting's theorem is verified for t>0

2. Relevant equations [PLAIN]https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/e6fe1dabe8c9699364d0e983f92139c7a6d4deeb[/B] [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assumed the current i(t) could be obtained solving Ldi/dt=Ri,where L is the inductance I previously computed.I tried to verify the conservation of energy applying the theorem in its global form on the volume of the solenoid,but,on one side,i don't know how to express current density J for the solenoid,on the other i realised it would lead me to a massive amount of calculations,Maybe there's some other way I didn't take into account?Sorry for my English.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted