Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Practical application; wire coil dripping.

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    As part of a wire manufacturing process, heavy wire coils are being sprayed with oil to prevent corrosion. Final step is to have these coils dripped to eliminate oil excess.
    Basic question is; if I where to build a vibration platform/table to do this dripping, what would be a good consideration for acceleration and amplitude parameters?
    If the acceleration were less than the total weight (wire coil + vibration platform), that is < 1g, would that be enough for oil to drip? What would be the recommended "g" percentage?
    As for the amplitude, I guess small amplitude will be better suited for oil dripping.
    I'm still wondering if acceleration > 1g would do any better.
    Thanks a lot,
    Joemax.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Or - put the coils inside a conducting tube (no touching!) and put a high voltage potential on the coil. The drops will be attracted to the tube.

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3

billy_joule

Science Advisor

You can't compare acceleration and weight, it's apples and oranges.
    The acceleration required will likely be a function of surface tension and lube viscosity...

5. Feb 9, 2015 #4
    Thanks Svein and B.Joule. This is an industrial standard application; a vibration table. Just wondering which percent of acceleration for the vibration table, will help drip the oil faster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook