Practical application; wire coil dripping.

• Thread starter joemax
  • Start date
As part of a wire manufacturing process, heavy wire coils are being sprayed with oil to prevent corrosion. Final step is to have these coils dripped to eliminate oil excess.
Basic question is; if I where to build a vibration platform/table to do this dripping, what would be a good consideration for acceleration and amplitude parameters?
If the acceleration were less than the total weight (wire coil + vibration platform), that is < 1g, would that be enough for oil to drip? What would be the recommended "g" percentage?
As for the amplitude, I guess small amplitude will be better suited for oil dripping.
I'm still wondering if acceleration > 1g would do any better.
Thanks a lot,
Joemax.

Answers and Replies

Svein
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Or - put the coils inside a conducting tube (no touching!) and put a high voltage potential on the coil. The drops will be attracted to the tube.

billy_joule
Science Advisor
If the acceleration were less than the total weight (wire coil + vibration platform), that is < 1g, would that be enough for oil to drip? What would be the recommended "g" percentage?
As for the amplitude, I guess small amplitude will be better suited for oil dripping.
You can't compare acceleration and weight, it's apples and oranges.
The acceleration required will likely be a function of surface tension and lube viscosity...

Thanks Svein and B.Joule. This is an industrial standard application; a vibration table. Just wondering which percent of acceleration for the vibration table, will help drip the oil faster.