Practical approach to building a breeder reactor, help please?

In summary: he used smoke detectors and tritium from signs, right? so you would need to get hold of these items and then do what?
nuclear-boy
hi,

i am interested in nuclear physics but i don't really want to delve into the complexity of it, so could someone please give me an idea of the practical approach to making a breeder reactor, i do not intend to build one, i just would like to know how i would do it if did want to build one, the best practical approach i could find was that of the "radioactive scout" boy, but they didnt go into great detail. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, nukey

lol, do you like my nickname?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't believe the accounts of the radioactive boy scout were true, at best they are highly exaggerated. Supposedly he obtained alpha radiation sources from smoke detectors and tritium from exit signs, but these objects contain extremely minuscule amounts of said material.

Suffice it to say, attempting to experiment with radioactive substances in any manner "without wanting to delve into the complexity of it" is extremely dangerous and reckless.

hi,

thanks for your reply,

yes, i appreciate your advice but, if i did want to build a breeder reactor
in an extremely dangerous & wreckless manner,
will you please tell me: what materials i would need,
what quantities of these materials i would need,
how to assemble the reactor,
and optionally you could tell me how to obtain those materials, thanks for your help & time, i greatly appreciate it, :)

nuclear-boy said:
hi,

thanks for your reply,

and optionally you could tell me how to obtain those materials, thanks for your help & time, i greatly appreciate it, :)
Why not look it up on Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_reactor

nuclear-boy said:
hi,

thanks for your reply,

If you're not going to build one, why would you need to source the materials?

nuclear-boy said:
if i did want to build a breeder reactor
will you please tell me:
No! We do not permit discussions of dangerous or reckless activities at PF. It pointless to give instructions on building a fast breeder reactor to someone who does not seemed to be concerned with the regulatory or safety aspects, not to mention potential for proliferation of controlled nuclear materials.

berkeman said:
If you're not going to build one, why would you need to source the materials?

because,i want to know how to build it, and then when i decide to build it i will take the safety measures myself, put it this way, i will build a dangerous and wreckless reactor , but before i start firing neutrons at something i will add the appropriate safety features.

Astronuc said:
No! We do not permit discussions of dangerous or reckless activities at PF. It pointless to give instructions on building a fast breeder reactor to someone who does not seemed to be concerned with the regulatory or safety aspects, not to mention potential for proliferation of controlled nuclear materials.

why is it pointless? that doesn't even make sense, i don't really care about how it works, i just want to make it, does anywhere permit that? *sigh*

nuclear-boy said:
why is it pointless? that doesn't even make sense, i don't really care about how it works, i just want to make it, does anywhere permit that? *sigh*
It is pointless because 1) one does not care how it works, and 2) one would not be permitted to build a reactor, particularly with such an attitude.

In order to build a reactor, besides raising the captial (on the order of several $billion), one must demonstrate that one understands the principles, particularly with regard to control and safety. Such technology is heavily regulated, and given that the product involves Pu-239, the process/practice is restricted.

Astronuc said:
It is pointless because 1) one does not care how it works, and 2) one would not be permitted to build a reactor, particularly with such an attitude.

In order to build a reactor, besides raising the captial (on the order of several $billion), one must demonstrate that one understands the principles, particularly with regard to control and safety. Such technology is heavily regulated, and given that the product involves Pu-239, the process/practice is restricted.

well, how did david hahn (radioactive boy scout) do it for under $5000?
i just want to know how to do it for **** sake.

I sure hope this is some sort of bad joke.

nuclear-boy said:
well, how did david hahn (radioactive boy scout) do it for under $5000?
i just want to know how to do it for **** sake.
David Hahn attempted to build a homemade breeder nuclear reactor in 1994, at age 17. (Wikipedia) He did not build a reactor, but accumulated radioactive material, which simply contaminated his mother's property. In addition to being dishonest and deceptive, what he did was stupid and dangerous.

He was no where close to building a breeder reactor, nor would he have succeeded with what he had.

There is no point in continuing this discussion. Thread closed.

1. How does a breeder reactor work?

A breeder reactor works by using a process called nuclear fission, in which atoms of a heavy element, such as uranium, are split apart to release energy. This energy is then used to heat water and create steam, which turns a turbine to generate electricity. In addition, breeder reactors also have a special core design that allows them to produce more nuclear fuel than they consume, making them a sustainable source of energy.

2. What are the benefits of building a breeder reactor?

Building a breeder reactor has several benefits, including the potential for a nearly limitless supply of clean energy, as well as reduced dependence on fossil fuels. Breeder reactors also produce significantly less nuclear waste compared to traditional nuclear reactors, making them a more environmentally friendly option.

3. What are the safety concerns associated with building a breeder reactor?

Safety is always a top priority when it comes to nuclear energy. While breeder reactors have the potential for a lower risk of accidents compared to traditional nuclear reactors, they still require strict regulation and safety measures. The main concern with breeder reactors is the potential for the release of radioactive materials, which can be harmful to both humans and the environment. However, with proper design and maintenance, these risks can be minimized.

4. What materials are needed to build a breeder reactor?

The main materials needed to build a breeder reactor include uranium fuel, a moderator (such as water or graphite), and control rods to regulate the nuclear fission process. Other materials may also be used for the reactor core and surrounding structures, such as steel and concrete.

5. Are there any ethical concerns associated with building a breeder reactor?

There are some ethical concerns surrounding the use of nuclear energy, including the potential for nuclear accidents and the disposal of nuclear waste. However, many argue that the benefits of breeder reactors, such as a more sustainable energy source and reduced greenhouse gas emissions, outweigh these concerns. It is important for scientists and policymakers to carefully consider and address these ethical concerns when planning for the construction of a breeder reactor.