Pre-calc book for an international student?

In summary, the speaker is a high school graduate who will major in Electrical Engineering at Cleveland State University. They are looking for a self-study book to build their foundation before starting classes and have already purchased "PreCalculus for Dummies". They are asking for recommendations for other books or if taking a pre-calc class at a community college would be a better option. The speaker is also unsure of how many hours to expect for a pre-calc class at a community college. They are advised to assess their knowledge of algebra and trigonometry before deciding if pre-calc is necessary and that community college classes typically meet for 75-150 hours with additional outside study required.
YYaaSSeeRR
hi
I am going to graduate from High school in 2 weeks from now...
my major will be Electrical engineering at Cleveland state university.
anyway ,I want a self-study book so that I can build my foundation before starting classes.
I will have around 6 months before enrolling in college.
I have already bought PreCalculus for dummies,what do you think about it?
are there any better books out there?
what about Community college classes ,do you think that is a better idea than buying a book?
if I want to take Pre-calc classes at CC ,how many hours should I expect?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics is a nice book, you can probably get a different book cheaper (especially if used). Some ok books are those by Brown, Larson, and, others. Precalculus is not a well defined course, many people never take it as high school algebra and trigonometry are enough. Others take similar courses with assorted names like advanced math, basic math, integrated math, algebra/trig, introduction to analysis, or analytic geometry. So decide if you know algebra and trigonometry really well, you proabbly do not need to study precalculus. If you have problems with algebra and trigonometry or never studied them, you should probably study proabbly do not need to study precalculus either on your own or with a class depending on learning style. As far as time most community college classes meet for between 75 and 150 hours some outside study the amount of which depends on background and ability.

1. What is the difference between a pre-calc book for an international student and a regular pre-calc book?

The main difference between the two is the approach to teaching. A pre-calc book for an international student may include more visual aids, simpler language, and examples from different cultures to make the material more accessible to students from diverse backgrounds.

2. Can an international student use a regular pre-calc book?

Yes, they can. However, they may find it more challenging to understand certain concepts and may need to spend more time studying and seeking additional resources.

3. Are there any specific topics that are covered in a pre-calc book for international students?

The topics covered in a pre-calc book for international students are generally the same as a regular pre-calc book. The difference lies in the approach and presentation of the material, which may include more cultural context and real-world examples.

4. How can a pre-calc book for an international student benefit me as a student?

A pre-calc book for an international student can benefit you by providing a more inclusive and diverse learning experience. It may also help you better understand and relate to the material, making it easier to grasp and retain concepts.

5. Are there any resources or supplements that can accompany a pre-calc book for an international student?

Yes, there are various resources and supplements that can accompany a pre-calc book for an international student, such as online study guides, practice problems, and video tutorials. These can help enhance the learning experience and provide additional support for students who may need it.