Precession of angular momentum in vector model

In summary, the angle of precession of angular momentum around a vector is due to the uncertainty of the projection of the vector on the xy plane.
Jan Hidding
Hey everyone,
I just made an account because I have a problem concerning angular momentum and precession.

In the picture below you see the vectors l1 and l2 that make up total orbital angular momentum L precess around L. I can get my head around why that is the case. The same for s1 and s2 around S and L and S around J.

Precession and angular momentum have always been a weak subject for me, so if you could try to explain it as easy as possible that would be great :).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20151031_114433.jpg
    IMG_20151031_114433.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
Lets start by considering a single vector which corresponds to a eigenstate of ##\hat{L}^2## and ##\hat{L}_z##, ##| l,l \rangle## (i.e., ##m = l##). Since ##\hat{L}^2 | l,l \rangle = l(l+1) \hbar^2 | l,l \rangle ##, the classical vector has length ##\sqrt{l(l+1)}##, with a projection on the z axis given by ##\hat{L}_z | l,l \rangle = l \hbar | l,l \rangle ##. This means that the vector does not point exactly along the z axis, but is at a slight angle. Because ##\hat{L}_x## and ##\hat{L}_y## do not commute with ##\hat{L}_z##, this means that the projection of the vector on the xy plane is undefined. Classically, this is represented either by drawing the cone resulting from the rotation of the vector around the z axis ("cone of uncertainty"), or by considering that the vector is precessing around the z axis.

This is of course a classical representation of something quantum mechanical, but it is a good picture to represent the uncertainty due to the non-commutation.

When you add ##l_1## and ##l_2## into ##L##, it simply displaces this uncertainty, or precession, around ##L## instead of the z axis.

Thanks for your reply. I think I understand it a bit better now. I get the fact about uncertainty of the projection on the xy-plane as they do not communte with ##L^2## and ##L_z## but how can it be that the cone is due to precession. Where does the precession of the vector comes from?

Jan Hidding said:
Where does the precession of the vector comes from?
The idea of precession actually becomes clearer when one considers the particle under a uniform magnetic field pointing in one direction. If the interaction between particles can be neglected, the Hamiltonian will only be due to the magnetic moment of individual particles: ##H = -\frac{gq}{2m}BL_z##. For an arbitrary state ##|\psi\rangle## at ##t=0##, its time evolution is given by ##|\psi(t)\rangle = e^{-iHt/\hbar}|\psi\rangle##. If you the calculate the expectation value of ##L_x## with respect to ##|\psi(t)\rangle##:
$$
\langle L_x \rangle_{psi(t)} = \langle\psi| e^{iHt/\hbar} L_x e^{-iHt/\hbar}|\psi\rangle
$$
You should find ##\langle L_x \rangle_{psi(t)} = \langle L_x \rangle_{psi(0)} \cos\omega t - \langle L_y \rangle_{psi(0)} \sin \omega t## with ##\omega = \frac{gq}{2m}B##, which suggests that the angular momentum is precessing in time.

I think I got it now. Thanks for your help :)!

1. What is the precession of angular momentum in the vector model?

The precession of angular momentum in the vector model refers to the phenomenon where the direction of the angular momentum vector of a spinning object changes over time, even if there are no external torques acting on it. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum and the torque exerted by the object's own moment of inertia.

2. Why does precession occur in the vector model?

Precession occurs in the vector model because of the torque exerted by the object's own moment of inertia. This torque causes the angular momentum vector to change direction, resulting in the spinning object appearing to wobble or precess.

3. How is precession of angular momentum calculated in the vector model?

The precession of angular momentum can be calculated using the formula p = Iωsinθ, where p is the precession rate, I is the moment of inertia of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and θ is the angle between the angular momentum vector and the axis of rotation.

4. How does the precession of angular momentum in the vector model affect spinning objects?

The precession of angular momentum can cause spinning objects to appear to wobble or precess. This can have practical applications, such as in gyroscopes used for navigation, or in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.

5. Can the precession of angular momentum be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the precession of angular momentum can be observed in everyday life. Some examples include the precession of a spinning top, the motion of a gyroscope, and the precession of planets and moons in our solar system.