Role of Angular Momentum in Defining Vector Operator ##\mathbf{V}##

In summary, a vector operator ##\mathbf{V}## is defined by the property ##[V_i,J_j] = i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk}V_k## where ##\mathbf{J}## is an angular momentum operator. The role of ##\mathbf{J}## is to represent the total angular momentum in the system, including both orbital and spin angular momenta. This means that in the absence of spin, ##\mathbf{J}## is equal to the orbital angular momentum operator ##\mathbf{L}##, but in the presence of spin, it is equal to the sum of the orbital and spin angular momentum operators, ##\mathbf{L}+\
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A vector operator ##\mathbf{V}## is defined as one satisfying the following property:

## [V_i,J_j] = i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk}V_k##

where ##\mathbf{J}## is an angular momentum operator. My question is what is the role of ##\mathbf{J}##, does it have to be the total angular momentum from all angular momenta appearing in the system, i.e. if we don't consider spin then ##\mathbf{J}=\mathbf{L}##, if we consider it then ##\mathbf{J} = \mathbf{L}+\mathbf{S}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, exactly.

But using L instead of the total angular momentum J even in the presence of spin doesn't prevent the relation ##[x_i,L_j] = i\hbar \epsilon_{ijk}x_k## to prevail.

Of course, but if you take V=S or V=J, you will need J=L+S to rotate also the spin part.

Related to Role of Angular Momentum in Defining Vector Operator ##\mathbf{V}##

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a system. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to vector operators?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is represented by vector operators, denoted by ##\mathbf{L}## or ##\mathbf{J}##. These operators act on a quantum state to produce another state with a different angular momentum value.

3. What is the role of angular momentum in defining vector operator ##\mathbf{V}##?

The vector operator ##\mathbf{V}## represents the total angular momentum of a system. It is defined as the sum of the orbital angular momentum operator ##\mathbf{L}## and the spin operator ##\mathbf{S}##, which describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle.

4. How does angular momentum affect the behavior of particles?

Angular momentum is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This has important implications for the behavior of particles, as it determines their motion and interactions within a system.

5. What are some real-world examples of the role of angular momentum in defining vector operator ##\mathbf{V}##?

One example is the behavior of spinning tops or gyroscopes, where the angular momentum of the object determines its stability and precession around a fixed axis. Another example is the quantization of angular momentum in atoms, which is essential for understanding atomic spectra and the behavior of electrons in orbitals.