1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predict value of g from displacement equation

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    1. I have to predict g, assuming that the correct equation for displacement as a function of time is x= 1/2gt^2. My equation for the displacement collected from experimental data is y = 0.30x^2 + 0.63x - 0.05. I am not sure how to find what g would be from these two equations or how they relate, but my guess would be try to isolate x from my equation perhaps? However, I need lots of help before Friday! Thanks in advance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

danago

Gold Member

What exactly does your experimentally obtained equation represent? What is y and x?

4. Sep 10, 2008 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

try to be a little more descriptive about what you're doing and be careful about your notation. (I think by x = 1/2gt^2, you mean x = (1/2)gt^2)

Also try to describe these quantities more physically (what does g, x, and y represent in physical reality? is this a lab?). Try asking the question again.

5. Sep 10, 2008 #4
    I apologize for the clarity issues. The lab was basically having a washer fall around 2m and little dots were made on a ticker tape that was threaded through the washer. X here is the displacement (m from the first point on the ticker tape). Y represents (t, which is the elapsed time in seconds). G in the equation x = (1/2)gt^2 is the constant acceleration due to gravity, but I am supposed to predict my value for g somehow and not use the set value (9.80 m/s/s)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  6. Sep 10, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

How were the dots made?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  7. Sep 10, 2008 #6
    The timer had a point that pressed down every 1/60th of a second on carbon paper which made dots on the ticker tape as it fell.

8. Sep 10, 2008 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Any chance that would contribute to any measurement uncertainty - like slowing it up a wee bit?

9. Sep 10, 2008 #8
    Yes, in fact one the questions is to discuss the possible sources of error in my reported velocity values. I would suspect it might also influence what my predicted g value is. Does anyone have any idea how to get a g value from my equation?

10. Sep 10, 2008 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Your data should show increasing speed.

Speed is the incremental distance - dot to dot/ time. If they are spaced at 1/60 of a second the distance dot to dot divided by 1/60 is your instantaneous speed.

Acceleration is the rate of change in speed.

So look at the differences between each of the successive dot to dot differences.

Example:
    1 - 1.1 - 1.3 - 1.6 - 2.0 ... are where the dots measure to
    Differences:
    .1 - .2 - .3 - .4 ... These are velocities.
    Differences of the differences:
    .1 - .1 - .1 .....This is your acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?